Bad habits

Thesnarlingbadger

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking across the customer's lawn instead of using the path.

Groundie not keeping the climber's rope tidy under the tree.

Groundie watching branches go right through the chipper before picking up the next piece.

Anyone who looks carefully for the smallest log to carry out.

If people start looking for the smallest log I start finding the rake, and when they start moaning about me not carrying logs I simply explain to them I will carry once they start playing ball. Big logs first every time. After that they tend to play fair.

But one of the most blatant bad habits,and often resulting in a verbal warning from me,is an evacuation of gas comparable to a supa nova exploding, 15 seconds after getting into my truck of a morning.

Windows down air conditioning on and take the nobs off the dash so they can't turn them back up. Works a treat when they are only in a t-shirt.

The 'rules' are there to protect us, I understand that, but with experience you learn that it's best to bend them to your skill level.

Joe raised a good point about cutting and holding.

I'm pretty good at not doing it generally, but needs must when the devil drives. Better off doing it properly then.

Anchored high in a nice oak taking down a skinny decayed ash below it?

Secondary anchor my anus.

Vice like monkey grip with legs ready for a quick bail-out please.

Working below a live tree without a lid?

Never Trevor, whatever the weather.

That's why I reckon teaching cutting and holding in a safe manor is the way forward.

And I agree there are times when not having a strop on is a hell of a lot safer.

Having a slash on a cold day then putting it back in before you've really finished.

Does warm you up for a few seconds though!

Not just on a cold day........or holding yourself for too long, trying to finish a job first, then fumbling like hell to get it out intime.

Interesting thread to read, having not worked in your industry, but were you not the same when you came out of college or training, well that's how we got shown blah, blah.

And do you have a.......Do as I say, not as I do attitude to other workers?

Just interested

I was a nightmare when I was in gamekeeping, liked things done my way, that was the only way, show you once that's it.

Not just on a cold day........or holding yourself for too long, trying to finish a job first, then fumbling like hell to get it out intime.

Interesting thread to read, having not worked in your industry, but were you not the same when you came out of college or training, well that's how we got shown blah, blah.

And do you have a.......Do as I say, not as I do attitude to other workers?

Just interested

I was a nightmare when I was in gamekeeping, liked things done my way, that was the only way, show you once that's it.

I'd say I'd let people make their own decisions, if they feel conformable doing something then crack on (unless they are putting themselves or anyone else in danger).

I have got annoyed with people in the past telling me I am doing my job wrong when they are fresh out of collage. But there is a difference between "your doing it wrong" and "why are you doing it like that"?

I am happy to help and give my opinion and advise where people want it but not when it's a cocky git trying to piss people off and always go against the grain.

nought wrong with not having secondary anchor point if you have good reason for it and not cutting anywhere near you rope i reckon.

i use old climbing rope for light rigging alot - prob should sort that out?

should loler my kit more than once a year year and half (i do inspect it regular myself, and i'm a SE climber)

climbing without a aerial recue climber present (opinions please)

nought wrong with not having secondary anchor point if you have good reason for it and not cutting anywhere near you rope i reckon.

i use old climbing rope for light rigging alot - prob should sort that out?

should loler my kit more than once a year year and half (i do inspect it regular myself, and i'm a SE climber)

climbing without a aerial recue climber present (opinions please)

Climbing without aerial rescue is something I do on occasions and have done for a while. I have mentioned it to bosses before and 9 times out of ten it's, do it or don't get paid. It's something that I am aware of and I'm sure am maybe a little more careful when I know I have to get my self out of the tree.