Do you let your chainsaw run out of fuel?

spandit

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you use Aspen? If so, you can just leave it in the tank anyway - no need to run it empty or dry even if you are not going to use the saw again for a while.

Alec

Hi Alec,

Aspen will keep fresh and ready to use for 5 years in the can or your fuel tank.

Also the plastic / rubber parts of the fuel system will live longer with aspen.

Lower exhaust emissions and low smell from the fuel.

If you haven't already give it a try and see what you think.

You can always contact me direct on 07568 108953 or [email protected]

It's on its second carb, at an extra £10 of so for 5 litres of fuel the maths

doesn't work out. Can do better as well, my dad had a 2001 ms340 I don't recall ever having fuel issues and recently got a barn find 028av still on its original bar and that looks like it's never had any work done, don't know how it was stored but lines haven't perished at all.

I just don't buy this saws live longer with aspen idea

How many carb diaphragms in that time ?

I have only had one diaphragm to replace that had gone so hard that it wouldn't flex enough to open the needle valve. I have replaced many that are a bit passed it but still functioning OK.

The piece of equipment was a 20 year old Zenoah strimmer!

The usual issue is the fuel lines hardening and contracting causing fuel leaks, had many of these!

It's on its second carb, at an extra £10 of so for 5 litres of fuel the maths

doesn't work out. Can do better as well, my dad had a 2001 ms340 I don't recall ever having fuel issues and recently got a barn find 028av still on its original bar and that looks like it's never had any work done, don't know how it was stored but lines haven't perished at all.

I just don't buy this saws live longer with aspen idea

I think the answer may be that the OWNER lives longer with Aspen:lol:

My own take from what I have seen - many machines come in seized, many down to old fuel or dubious fuel. Aspen will stop that. It will not stop seizure down to air leaks or badly adjusted carbs. It will give home/light users a simple solution to the old "what two mix should I use" question and no leaving the fuel in the tank until the next season as many home users will do!

Aspen keeps the engine clean, the piston, pot and plug stay remarkably clear of carbon deposits so less likely to cause carbon damage.

Aspen doesn't give off that acrid two stroke stink, where I believe it is really good is when cutting hedges. Doing this you are generally on top of the machine and getting a face full of exhaust and Aspen makes this close contact more bearable. These trimmers also have very small exhaust ports that often get clogged with carbon more so than saws and Aspen will stop this.

There are moves to use more ethanol in our fuel and this can absorb water causing all sorts of issues with rubber parts and aluminium carbs - the US are ahead on this and have suffered for years:thumbdown:

It is your choice if you use it and unlike others, do not sell it or have any affiliation to Aspen so what I have written is my own opinion and of no commercial gain.

I think on the older saws it prob doesn't make a lot of difference....(ie all the Stihl saws starting with an '0') but on the newer saws although it wouldn't kill the saw I have found that repeatedly running the saw out of fuel will cause starting and idling issues further down the line (ie 2 years time...).

I never run them out of fuel now and it does seem to keep them running better for longer - although I have no idea why this would be!!

:001_smile:

I recently left half a tank of Aspen in a saw for ten weeks without starting it. When I needed to use it. The saw started without a hitch and ran all day with a hiccup.

I bet that annoyed you

Um. Only just noticed; that should've been, "... The saw started without a hitch and ran all day without a hiccup."