arb waste value?

needenginerunnin

Good refresh on an old thread!

Not sure if it's nationwide, but I'm finding it increasingly common that domestic customers want to keep "arb waste" after a job.

Good news in one respect I guess but not when they seem to think it equates to a discount off job price.

From my perspective, in answer to the original question, there is no more or less "value" to arb waste (not a phrase I use) than the cost of removing it.

Value is added to "arb waste" when it has completed a process of removal, cutting, splitting, stacking, seasoning and then either using or delivering and selling.

The problem customers seem to have is that they think the green wood arising from a tree dismantle has the value of the processed product that is delivered as usable firewood after the processing has been completed because there's a bloke down the pub that said it's worth XXX.

Interestingly, HMRC have a view on the subject but that's a whole 'nuther story! Here's a link that refers back to the Gold Coast Selection Trust Ltd v Humphrey [1948] 30 TC 209 which is the source reference but imagine my surprise to find that I get another mention in the Field Court Tax Chambers UK Tax Bulletin March 2016 which follows the original mention in the February 2016 bulletin.

Mar 2016 bulletin - http://www.fieldtax.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/February-2016-Tax-Bulletin.pdf

Feb bulletin - http://www.fieldtax.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/February-2016-Tax-Bulletin.pdf

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's nationwide, but I'm finding it increasingly common that domestic customers want to keep "arb waste" after a job.

Good news in one respect I guess but not when they seem to think it equates to a discount off job price.

From my perspective, in answer to the original question, there is no more or less "value" to arb waste (not a phrase I use) than the cost of removing it.

Value is added to "arb waste" when it has completed a process of removal, cutting, splitting, stacking, seasoning and then either using or delivering and selling.

The problem customers seem to have is that they think the green wood arising from a tree dismantle has the value of the processed product that is delivered as usable firewood after the processing has been completed because there's a bloke down the pub that said it's worth XXX.

Interestingly, HMRC have a view on the subject but that's a whole 'nuther story! Here's a link that refers back to the Gold Coast Selection Trust Ltd v Humphrey [1948] 30 TC 209 which is the source reference but imagine my surprise to find that I get another mention in the Field Court Tax Chambers UK Tax Bulletin March 2016 which follows the original mention in the February 2016 bulletin.

Mar 2016 bulletin - http://www.fieldtax.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/February-2016-Tax-Bulletin.pdf

Feb bulletin - http://www.fieldtax.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/February-2016-Tax-Bulletin.pdf

That's bloody confusing (the article in the link!)

Well, that's your card well and truly marked!

Tax and vat inspectors ordering latex gloves as we speak:biggrin:

They're welcome Gary! Well, not so much the latex glove part.

They can keep looking, and I will keep ensuring that everything they think they want to do costs x10 more than they can ever hope to recover.

The great thing about a "system" is that it works both ways.

I've already had an apology and a token cheque by way of compo. I'm sending it back with the message - double it and add 2 zeros!

They're welcome Gary! Well, not so much the latex glove part.

They can keep looking, and I will keep ensuring that everything they think they want to do costs x10 more than they can ever hope to recover.

The great thing about a "system" is that it works both ways.

I've already had an apology and a token cheque by way of compo. I'm sending it back with the message - double it and add 2 zeros!

👍 :thumbup:

I think it's possibly fair comment to think that more and more clients want to retain wood. If they don't intend to process / burn it, the neighbour, uncle Fred or some other individual they know will take it instead; with more and more wood stoves being installed by the day, probably not that surprising. And why not?'Till they realise they will need to buy a saw, maul, followed by a few hours of sweaty labour, then the appeal may wear off...:biggrin:

I find offering two prices at the start of the job works, one for the takedown, and another to come back in the winter (when its quiet) and process the wood.

So they have three options...

1: I take the wood home which can be processed then sold on thus increasing the profit from the original job.

2: They pay me to come back and process it so I get two bites at the cherry, especially if you leave the rings too long for their B&Q saw.:thumbup1:

3: They want to process it themselves, fine by me, move onto the next job.

Anyone sell chips? I've found a place that uses a Dragon burner, huge chip boiler. They pay for dried chips...and I'm desperate to upload green chips. Don't know whether to give it away as its green, and we both win.

I also often have trailers full of non chipped brush, hacked down to a sticky mulch. Finding it harder and harder to get rid of the waste these days.

When I worked in London, we just used the municipal tip, charged it on to the client.

• 1 month later...
Anyone sell chips? I've found a place that uses a Dragon burner, huge chip boiler. They pay for dried chips...and I'm desperate to upload green chips. Don't know whether to give it away as its green, and we both win.

I also often have trailers full of non chipped brush, hacked down to a sticky mulch. Finding it harder and harder to get rid of the waste these days.

When I worked in London, we just used the municipal tip, charged it on to the client.

We have about 30 tons of Beech (Arb Waste in various sizes) that can be dropped off within 5 miles of the Bracknell area? It's on a 18t grab tipper lorry.