Shrapnel wound while splitting with maul.

pyro_John

We've got heavy duty fencing mauls at work which are made of a softer metal, some kind of alloy I'm guessing. Still got the weight of a Sledge but bulkier and less chance of fragments, the head deforms slightly on impact. Might be worth you getting one.

Think yourself lucky it was just your leg, think I'll be keeping a closer eye on the condition of my splitting gear and wearing safety specs when the going gets tough after reading this!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why metal wedges for felling are no longer used

I was still felling with steel wedges till I packed up work 7 years ago but I did keep them well dressed and I never bothered using wedges for splitting nor hitting a maul with a hammer, just not worth the effort. If I cannot split it with 3 hits it gets left or sawn.

Back to the OP: I started work with two guys who were 64 and had worked as a team since the war years (reserved occupation) both had bad injuries but Ted had lost an eye when Fred was knocking the wedges in an a piece of wedge hit him.

I have a maul which has a hardened rear face as it's intended as a hammer face, all my others are mild steel rear faces so can be hit. I try and avoid it and keep them well dressed with the grinder. I once bought a cheaper maul without any warning stickers so I used the rear face as a hammer to smash some concrete, it didn't deform therefore it had a hardened rear face. Maybe the same issue hear. Never hit. Hardened steel together, hardened against mild no problem if you keep it dressed.

Did the same myself years ago knocking track pin on old cat dozer.

fragment lodged in my forearm and worked itself to the surface after about 2yrs so I cut the skin with a razor and removed it myself.

I've always thought how lucky it was not one of my eyes that copped it,