Pricing big Elm

Highland Forestry

We contact in for large estates with ground crews. We will normally get big trees down in big chunks for the estate crews to deal with, minimising our time on site. Pics can be mileading but you've got a big drop zone there. I'd be supprised ir there was much standing at the end of the day

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We contact in for large estates with ground crews. We will normally get big trees down in big chunks for the estate crews to deal with, minimising our time on site. Pics can be mileading but you've got a big drop zone there. I'd be supprised ir there was much standing at the end of the day

True i've done my fair share of National Trust work where we'd just smash them down and go, you'd probably get that elm down in a day that way, as soon as you have to start processing and chipping the outer crown and possibly stacking timber it'll eat up your time. On estates where we'd do this it would take a day maybe a half to deal with trees that size.

So put 2 day on it to be on the safe side

is the road going to be shut off?is that a manhole cover or septic tank cover beside the tree?it depends on how you are going to take it down matt, and what the finish job is to look like. option 1. close rd and crash bang heavy onto brash and walk away. 500quid

option 2. safely lower and dismantle tree, not leaving a mark and lovely stacked branches and slices 2k.

hmm - what kit are you chucking at that??

Sorry was a bit of a flippant answer and always difficult to judge from a picture, and as I do sometimes have to quote from pictures I do tend to overquote to be safe.

Kit wise it would vary depending on what the exact spec of the job was from a tractor to stack the logs with a big chipper to chip the brash, to just having lots of little minions running round with saws and a small chipper. A tractor costs about 3-4 times a day what I would pay a groundie, so the maths is quite simple to work out.

If somebody could really do it for 1200 quid I'd quite happily sub the job to them. I work for myself to make a good living, not break even, but then I'm only working a few days a month rather than every day, so maybe I'm overcharging. If I wasn't earning that kind of money it's a no brainer I'd work (as I am at times) work for someone else, with no stress, hassle, cashflow and all the other business bumf to go with it.

R

It's a private access road to the lairds house Stevie... it will be blocked off, and no it;s not a manhole cover you're seeing, it's actually a randomly placed paving stone, not sure why it's there but theres nothing underneath it as I checked while on-site.

Just out of view in the pics there is an old fashioned red telephone box which is randomly in the middle of the garden also.

With the size of the lawn, the whole thing could almost be felled but they dont want to loose the smaller target trees and we're to try to avoid any unecessary damage to the lawn, but cut and chuck will be no problem at all.

Was originally asked to stack all the brash and leave it in a pile for the estate guys to clear up but I think it would be easier for us to just chip it and only handle it the once.

The timber is to be left in manageable sizes, which means the main trunk will have to be ringed up with a very sizeable saw.

I may have just found the perfect excuse to go buy my 880 with a 4ft bar!!

She's a real big tree and I would think there's at least 7 ton of wood there, if not more.

If you get the chance,install a climbing line before the day of the job.It gives you a chance to get a better ida of the job before the rush of the day.

I do this on most of the big stuff we do,I find it speeds things up no end.

I would put two days on that Tree going from the photos.

i would leave the bottom big bit and get lairdy to get one of the carrbridge carvers to make him an eagle. i wouldnt bother chipping it, zip line it all into a huge pile, and fell the stems onto the brash. i bet the tight old laird will have a heart attack if you mentioned 200 quid lol

i