New MS391 not oiling chain!

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt ill ever have the honour. :001_rolleyes:

Just a well oiled slug of a Stihl would make me a very, very happy chappy. :thumbup:

It's probably not helpful in the slightest, but I'm not just taking the mick here.

I bought a scrap (seized) 357, and sent it to Spud to fix and port, for less than what you bought the Stihl for.

The build quality is lacking in the non pro ranges, and I can't help but feel like the type of problem you're having is less frequent on pro saws.

If you're not relying on that one saw then I'd just get a refund!

It's probably not helpful in the slightest, but I'm not just taking the mick here.

I bought a scrap (seized) 357, and sent it to Spud to fix and port, for less than what you bought the Stihl for.

The build quality is lacking in the non pro ranges, and I can't help but feel like the type of problem you're having is less frequent on pro saws.

If you're not relying on that one saw then I'd just get a refund!

Does nobody read anything I wrote on here?

It was a private sale. The deals done, I own the saw.

I'm not a pro user and don't want anything lairy and tuned, just an old plodder that can do the bigger stuff year in year out.

If you got a bargain, great! :thumbup:

I still consider that I did too.

Let's not be melodramatic over a slight break in glitch that is most likely 'user error'. :biggrin:

Any chance that this could actually be a factory second/reject saw?

I bought a 391 new, but having had 2 tanks through it (supposedly).

It was brand new, with just very light scuffing to the underneath of the saw, and a very light covering of dust.

Oil poured everywhere when

I tried to use it, and it leaked fuel from somewhere. It was to all

Intents and purposes brand new, with a box, manual and tools. No original receipt though.

We decided in the end that it was faulty from the get go. It was nicked in our break in earlier in the year, so we never actually figured it out for sure. Following with interest.

Any chance that this could actually be a factory second/reject saw?

I bought a 391 new, but having had 2 tanks through it (supposedly).

It was brand new, with just very light scuffing to the underneath of the saw, and a very light covering of dust.

Oil poured everywhere when

I tried to use it, and it leaked fuel from somewhere. It was to all

Intents and purposes brand new, with a box, manual and tools. No original receipt though.

We decided in the end that it was faulty from the get go. It was nicked in our break in earlier in the year, so we never actually figured it out for sure. Following with interest.

No it wasn't a reject / factory second.

Brand new boxed stock from the Stihl dealer in Northants.

I have the paperwork and PDI sheet. Never been used, sealed bar and chain no scuffs or marks whatsoever.

I bought it off a lady whose late husband owned an MS391. She'd been burgled and the saw was taken. Insurance company replaced it despite her asking for the money instead since she had no intention of using a chainsaw.

She sold it to me, with all supporting paperwork from dealer, and in the original box with all the manual, tools and gizmos.

Right, now we've cleared that up, an update:

Last night I cleaned it all up and this afternoon refuelled it and topped up the bar oil. A wood chopping I did go....

Bloody weird, as in the wet wood AT FULL REVS I could see a darker black strip just under the cutting part of the bar, oh goody I thought, it's oiling ok.

Stopped and checked visually as told to do. Chain looked dry as a bone :001_huh:

Cut a few more big rounds of oak up and then stopped. The chain was discoloured from the heat and had orangey bluey area. Smoke was oozing off the hot exhaust from the bar oil splattered on it.

I went indoors defeated. :thumbdown:

The nuts that hold the bar on were almost too hot to touch ten minutes later. The chain too was roasting even after I'd got changed out my PPE into my latex onesie. :confused1:

I checked the oil worm thing and it was riding the clutch like a goodun. Oil was weeping from the oil slit thing (next to the bar) as per my first 'bar off' test.

I am almost certain the problem lies with the bar, not the saws oil feed.

My options are to buy a new bar and chain, try one from another saw (not so keen) or to drill the holes on my Stihl bar out to I prove oil circulation.

I couldn't find where the pipe runs for the tank to the oil pump but the small connector from the housing to the pump and the feed line to the slit part looked ok.

Bar suggestion purrleeeze. :thumbup:

P.s I Stihl love it, despite it being a bag of horse dung ! :thumbup1:

Hi turtlewoods72,

Ive been keepin an eye on your predicament and i admire your perseverance even in the face of husky biased adversity,some husky luvers seem to have a sixth sense for the imminent death of a stihl.Since you ve checked everything else out on thd saw it would seem to me the bar is the issue.

Keep us posted how u go and laugh along with the husky laughin boys

No it wasn't a reject / factory second.

Brand new boxed stock from the Stihl dealer in Northants.

I have the paperwork and PDI sheet. Never been used, sealed bar and chain no scuffs or marks whatsoever.

I bought it off a lady whose late husband owned an MS391. She'd been burgled and the saw was taken. Insurance company replaced it despite her asking for the money instead since she had no intention of using a chainsaw.

She sold it to me, with all supporting paperwork from dealer, and in the original box with all the manual, tools and gizmos.

Right, now we've cleared that up, an update:

Last night I cleaned it all up and this afternoon refuelled it and topped up the bar oil. A wood chopping I did go....

Bloody weird, as in the wet wood AT FULL REVS I could see a darker black strip just under the cutting part of the bar, oh goody I thought, it's oiling ok.

Stopped and checked visually as told to do. Chain looked dry as a bone :001_huh:

Cut a few more big rounds of oak up and then stopped. The chain was discoloured from the heat and had orangey bluey area. Smoke was oozing off the hot exhaust from the bar oil splattered on it.

I went indoors defeated. :thumbdown:

The nuts that hold the bar on were almost too hot to touch ten minutes later. The chain too was roasting even after I'd got changed out my PPE into my latex onesie. :confused1:

I checked the oil worm thing and it was riding the clutch like a goodun. Oil was weeping from the oil slit thing (next to the bar) as per my first 'bar off' test.

I am almost certain the problem lies with the bar, not the saws oil feed.

My options are to buy a new bar and chain, try one from another saw (not so keen) or to drill the holes on my Stihl bar out to I prove oil circulation.

I couldn't find where the pipe runs for the tank to the oil pump but the small connector from the housing to the pump and the feed line to the slit part looked ok.

Bar suggestion purrleeeze. :thumbup:

P.s I Stihl love it, despite it being a bag of horse dung ! :thumbup1:

Of all woods to test on, oak! It absorbs oil!

Have you turned the oiler up? Have you revved the saw to see if you get a line of oil splatter off the bar tip?

You say it looked dry, it should only be a thin film and not a river of oil in the bar and on the chain...

Photos of the chain would help!