New MS391 not oiling chain!

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grass hopper understands you don't want to make the 110mile trip twice . If it new a Stihl warranty should be good for any dealer I would have thought , could be wrong . Husqvarna man me self :biggrin:

Damn straight, what a waste of time eh! I'll resort to the local dealer, cap in hand if push comes to shove. There's one not too far away who sold me an FS90 years ago, so I could use that as 'friend leverage' lol.

Like I said, if it's regularly pumping oil at full revs the saw is fine. Check that the oil hole in the bar matches up. Make sure the oil hole is clean.

Fair enough for wanting to sort it yourself, it's how you learn. Any stihl dealer is obligated to fix it for you if it's under warranty, though they may not prioritise you if you didn't buy from them.

Hole is clean, how should I line it up? Bar all the way back or forward? The oil feed seems to be a slit the length of the adjustment, so not an exact 'fit' as such. Could a loose bar be the problem? (I did it up pretty tight, what's the torque setting for a bar supposed to be?)

Agreed, a local dealer might get the hump and make me wait ages for a five minute fix..not keen.

Quite an undertaking to remove the oil resevoir to check the feed tube,best bet is youtube mate.goodluck!!

Ok, I'll try some other things first, and check out youtube.

It's not as complicated as a car or bike, and I've had them in pieces, so it doesn't phase me tooo much :blushing:

Thanks for your help all! Keep the suggestions coming, it ain't over yet! :thumbup:

Damn straight, what a waste of time eh! I'll resort to the local dealer, cap in hand if push comes to shove. There's one not too far away who sold me an FS90 years ago, so I could use that as 'friend leverage' lol.

Hole is clean, how should I line it up? Bar all the way back or forward? The oil feed seems to be a slit the length of the adjustment, so not an exact 'fit' as such. Could a loose bar be the problem? (I did it up pretty tight, what's the torque setting for a bar supposed to be?)

Agreed, a local dealer might get the hump and make me wait ages for a five minute fix..not keen.

Ok, I'll try some other things first, and check out youtube.

It's not as complicated as a car or bike, and I've had them in pieces, so it doesn't phase me tooo much :blushing:

Thanks for your help all! Keep the suggestions coming, it ain't over yet! :thumbup:

Torque setting is tight enough to keep it on, not so tight as you strip the threads.

How tight are you running the chain. This is an unknown quantity that can affect bar lubrication.

Torque setting is tight enough to keep it on, not so tight as you strip the threads.

How tight are you running the chain. This is an unknown quantity that can affect bar lubrication.

Yep that's how tight my bar is, not crushed but not swaying in the breeze either.

Chain is tightened like so:

Slacken off bar bolts, lift bar up at nose, adjust so that the drive links are up in the bar but I can pull them up or down a few mm, but still turn the chain freely by hand. Never had a problem with my Makitas.

Two questions.

Would the fact I'm using half to two thirds throttle effect this oiling malarkey ? As I'm running the saw in as per the manual.

How the hell is oil getting on the exhaust and running down the outer side of the clutch cover?

I'm beginning to think the bar is the culprit...?

Also, I read on some US sites that the MS390 was prone to this problem. Several owners reported being told they'd broken off an 'oil plug' and had fixed it by inserting a machine screw with sealant tape into 'a hole between the exhaust and bar' which I'm unable to locate.

Two questions.

Would the fact I'm using half to two thirds throttle effect this oiling malarkey ? As I'm running the saw in as per the manual.

How the hell is oil getting on the exhaust and running down the outer side of the clutch cover?

I'm beginning to think the bar is the culprit...?

Also, I read on some US sites that the MS390 was prone to this problem. Several owners reported being told they'd broken off an 'oil plug' and had fixed it by inserting a machine screw with sealant tape into 'a hole between the exhaust and bar' which I'm unable to locate.

Sounds like B&C tension is fine. Run the saw full throttle or not at all. 2 strokes ain't designed to be feathered.