New MS391 not oiling chain!

TurtleWoods72

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll try and be helpful, although any smug remarks coming from SawTroll are justified.

Take the sprocket cover off and rev the saw. Oil should come out of the slot regularly. If it is doing this then the saw works fine, it's a bar problem. Either a blocked bar hole or it's misaligned. Oregon bars have larger oil holes.

Agree with john newton,although could also be the feeder tube from the oil resevoir to the body of the saw could have a twist or bend in it preventing proper oil pressure being acheived.

This sometimes happens at the manufacturing plant.

Or just take it back...?

That's the answer really, if it's not working as it should, send it back!

Have you checked the oil feed worm is located properly into the notch on the inside of the sprocket mate?

I didn't know what this was, so I've just watched a YouTube video showing how to change one.

Obviously mine isn't worn out (as per the video) so thankfully I won't have to remove the clutch to check.

I doubt the worm's 'arm' isn't located as the vid man said the e-clip won't fit if it isn't. Also the oil pump is producing prodigious amounts of oil, just in the wrong place :confused1:

Okay, I'll try and be helpful, although any smug remarks coming from SawTroll are predictably pointless and unhelpful

(Fixed that for you)

Take the sprocket cover off and rev the saw. Oil should come out of the slot regularly. If it is doing this then the saw works fine, it's a bar problem. Either a blocked bar hole or it's misaligned. Oregon bars have larger oil holes.

It's producing oil, the aperture (long thin slit) above the bar mounts was wet and oily. It just seems to be going elsewhere instead/as well :001_huh:

Agree with john newton,although could also be the feeder tube from the oil resevoir to the body of the saw could have a twist or bend in it preventing proper oil pressure being acheived.

This sometimes happens at the manufacturing plant.

Or just take it back...?

this sounds feasable. Where would I inspect this, as in what bits do I remove to check? :thumbup1:

That's the answer really, if it's not working as it should, send it back!
I want to get this sorted myself rather than undertake the 110 mile round trip to the dealer who'll say 'leave it with us' meaning a week later another 110 mile round trip.

I don't suppose a local Stihl dealer will be very eager to help?

Plus I'd rather know how the thing works, since it seems I'll be taking it apart every few days! :thumbup:

Edited by TurtleWoods72

See above, grasshopper :001_tt2:

Grass hopper understands you don't want to make the 110mile trip twice . If it new a Stihl warranty should be good for any dealer I would have thought , could be wrong . Husqvarna man me self :biggrin:

Like I said, if it's regularly pumping oil at full revs the saw is fine. Check that the oil hole in the bar matches up. Make sure the oil hole is clean.

Fair enough for wanting to sort it yourself, it's how you learn. Any stihl dealer is obligated to fix it for you if it's under warranty, though they may not prioritise you if you didn't buy from them.