Imprisoned trees with HUGE epicormic, to climb or not to climb?

WoodMouse

I need to prolong my climbing career if all the new climbers from college are going to refuse to climb epicormic growth...Reckon in another 20 years time I should be able to triple my day rate :biggrin:

Joking aside(sort of), I understand what you're saying re the risks, but literally nothing would get done if we played by those rules.

Not much point in having insurance if you're going to do what they won't insure you for or even doing a risk assessment. If insurers won't cover you for roping into epicormic then it's MEWP or move onto the next one. Not worth the huge hole in the pocket if something did go wrong.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say there is some risk to working on them but if you can't read what it is and work the tree so there is no risk then what is the point in being in this job.

But then it's reading the tree, the lime in those pictures I would not rig big off for sure unless I could wack the tops off from the pollard bowl with my topping strop old school style :) But none of those trees warrant a MEWP unless you have one hanging around paid for.

I can't believe this is being questioned , there are trees like this all over London and the uk , around London there are thousands of lapsed pollards which are climbed everyday without a bat of an eyelid. I have and would rig of them

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I would say there is some risk to working on them but if you can't read what it is and work the tree so there is no risk then what is the point in being in this job.

But then it's reading the tree, the lime in those pictures I would not rig big off for sure unless I could wack the tops off from the pollard bowl with my topping strop old school style :) But none of those trees warrant a MEWP unless you have one hanging around paid for.

Thats how i'm feeling, the Lyme the regrowth has almost got larger than the stem holding it up. But the Ash seems fine imo. Might consider roping in twice tho.:thumbup1:

I can't believe this is being questioned , there are trees like this all over London and the uk , around London there are thousands of lapsed pollards which are climbed everyday without a bat of an eyelid. I have and would rig of them

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's insurance really. I know mine wouldn't cover it if i had roped into the Lyme and it had snapped out and smashed into the house. Infact i shoud probably check that.