Imprisoned trees with HUGE epicormic, to climb or not to climb?

WoodMouse

The lime should be fine. You can rig it down small ish, there's loads of big limes around here that are old pollards. Well into 90ft too. Done a fair few of them. The ash I'd be more wary of, but it's not exactly very big

Think it's an ailanthus mate , probably a bit softer than lime or ash!! would say that's an easier tree as you could anchor off one of the stems over the shed and use one off the middle bowl for rigging with no worry of any thing breaking near your anchor out.. At the end of the day the climber being safe is more important than any property.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread, liking the way most folks think, namely go with what your guts and experience tell you. It is a sad thing when pencil pushers get to tell experienced pros how they may or may not operate. But that is the way the world is getting to be, more and more.

We have OSHA here in the states, which is probably not nearly as ever-present as your government's similar representatives. In more than twenty years of construction work, I've never once seen an OSHA rep in the flesh. I get the feeling you guys have folks looking over your shoulder constantly. In the U.S., in my experience, it is the general contractors that are standing over the worker's shoulders and monitoring safety practices, and that is because it is in their financial interest to do so. The fear of higher insurance rates causes them to be fairly strict with the safety protocols.

Think it's an ailanthus mate , probably a bit softer than lime or ash!! would say that's an easier tree as you could anchor off one of the stems over the shed and use one off the middle bowl for rigging with no worry of any thing breaking near your anchor out.. At the end of the day the climber being safe is more important than any property.

Definitely Ash. Wrong trunk markings for ailanthus.

Reckon it's a Robinia not ailanthus. I'd anchor, somewhere, on them all, no worries, this is a bit more than epi (epicormic growth), this is re-growth, imo. Trust your own capabilities.

Good call ... Could Evan be walnut .... Definitely not ash though...