Lone working control measures

Stephen Blair

I have spent most of my working life working alone whether it be Feeding pigs ,Baling,Combine , underneath a tractor , inside a Concrete mixer BUT NOW I am very wary after all the accidents and near misses I have had so these days on small tree jobs and hedge cutting etc I strike a deal with my private jobs that someone is in and do a discount on the Job .....some may laugh but it's better than employing some half wit .

No offence to the decent workers out there .

Ste

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Old Man has phone with button which if held down will send text with location coordinates to pre programmed numbers. Getting him to keep it on him at all times is another matter altogether.

Incidentally, "loan working" is different from "lone working". The former is something the banks would make you do, the latter is working on your own :)

That sounds like a great idea. Is there an app which does something similar?

For those of you working alone perhaps going off to do something potentially dangerous in a different place, just tell someone where you will be or at least leave a note for someone to read.

For those of you working alone perhaps going off to do something potentially dangerous in a different place, just tell someone where you will be or at least leave a note for someone to read.

That's ok, but by the time the alarm is raised it could be too late. I'm thinking of things like crush injuries and arterial bleeds that are really time critical.

These frequent rings/texts can be set off worries for no reason when something intervenes,no signal is the most common one. If no contact there is a little they can do but worry.Searching is best left to experts.

Google Echo112 system, it's a smart phone app

Coincidentally I've just read this on the FISA website which may be of relevance:

"999 Text Service to assist hill walkers and climbers

Mobile phone reception in the Highlands can often be intermittent or non-existent. If you are involved in an incident on the hill and need to call assistance but cannot make voice calls, you may now contact the 999 emergency services using a short messaging service (SMS) text from your mobile phone.

The service was originally set up in 2009 for people who are hard of hearing or who have a speech impediment. The service has been successful in helping identify crime and enabling emergency calls to be made when otherwise contact would have been difficult or impossible for the people involved.

The service will now assist those needing emergency assistance in the hills when mobile reception is poor and there is not enough signal to make a voice call. The benefit is that a text message can be composed and sent in a single operation. You should specify 'Police-Mountain Rescue' when sending the text, and include information about your location, nature of the incident and those involved.

You will only be able to use this service if you have registered with emergency SMS first.

Register now: don't wait for an emergency. To register, text the word 'register' to 999. You will get a reply - then follow the instructions you are sent. This will only take approx. two minutes of your time and could save your life!"

Cheers..

Paul

Theres something called spot response SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger thats quite good for remote areas with no signal I think.

Well done for considering it, 20 years ago a guy I knew decided to set up his own log business, he bought a splitter and a pick up and started asking farmers for dead trees to scavenge. He was offered a big elm at a farm up in the hills, it was a bit of a climb but he had a 4x4 and got quite close to the tree. when he was felling it it went wrong, he tried to run but it rolled on him, he was trapped under a big limb with a smashed pelvis.... No one knew where he was, and no one had mobiles back then. His saw was still running just out of reach but he could just touch the tip of the bar, saws being what they were back then the chain was still spinning, he cut his hands to bits getting hold of the saw but eventually managed to get it. He cut the limb off himself and started to crawl towards his truck. He was beaten by a stock fence which he couldn't get over, he had to wait until he was missed and discovered. After a few ops and a long recovery he was ok, but a lucky man all the same.

People think it won't happen to them, but sometimes it does.

Hi Tom That brought it home no mate I help m brought it home now mate what's cost of them satellite trackers what you use thanks Jon