LOLER and the LAW

benedmonds

Do I need my kit inspected by an external LOLER tester or can I do it myself?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do I need my kit inspected by an external LOLER tester or can I do it myself?

• EXTERNAL LOLER REQUIRED
    • DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU HAVE DONE LOLER TICKET
    • DO IT YOURSELF IF YOU BELIEVE COMPETENT
    • DON'T BOTHER...:)

I have been asked for "a thorough examination of LOLER equipment" from a council. I provided her with a sheet which I did, but she seems to think it should be done by some one else.. I have read and attached part of the http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais30.pdf

Thorough examination

LOLER requires lifting equipment to be thoroughly

examined. This means a detailed examination by a

competent person who has appropriate practical and

theoretical knowledge and experience to enable them

to detect defects or weaknesses in the equipment

being examined and assess their importance in relation

to the safety and continued use of the lifting equipment.

The risks in arboriculture which arise through failure in

lifting equipment for lifting people justify independent

and impartial thorough examination. In practice this

probably means somebody external to your business.

It should be thoroughly examined either:

l every six months where it is being used for lifting

people and every twelve months otherwise; or

l in accordance with time intervals specified in an

examination scheme drawn up by a competent

person.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong but I don't think "probably means external" is the same as "must be external" and what is a "competent person."??

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard people saying this. And yes that is what it says but I dont really no because what is the point in people doing a LOLER course if you dont need it. I always have mine tested by a qualified inspector but then again I have only being doing tree work for a year or two so I wouldnt call my self competant. Also talking to my boss who is a qualified inspector there seems to be alot more to it than I realised and stuff I wouldnt even think of. I think testing your own stuff is bad though as you are less likely to fail something and just think it will be ok its only me using it and i cant really afford a new one just yet and so you pass it. But if someone else fails it you dont have much choice. but then thats just my opinion.

IMHO if you are qualified and honestly impartial then do your own. You might have to introduce some caveats into your policy to allow yourself to do it. It is not advised as has been stated before due to financial considerations. Grey area, but then again it's not the only one in the industry

one more thing, What's with the Mcgirlypants Ed? You still sore because I outed you as the dandy cottaging fop that you are?

As a trained competent person I have been asked to back date certs for cash inentives and have declined the offer. I have failed my own kit and failed or declined to inspect other persons equipment. I know that some firms only bring in the newest kit for inspection and leave the cruddy stuff at home. That is their problem not mine.

Any cert is better than no cert you may think, till you have a problem.

Correct me if you think I'm wrong but I don't think "probably means external" is the same as "must be external" and what is a "competent person."??

I'm a loler inspector and I inspect my own gear.

The main reason I attended the course was so that I wouldn't have to pay someone else to do a thorough examination of my climbing and rigging gear. Its also a great course for anyone interested in understanding in more detail how your equipment works and when your equipment has become unsafe.

Having your kit LOLER inspected by an "competent person" means someone whos been trained in thorough examination of kit.

As a LOLER inspector, i carry out my own LOLER inspections but every 3rd inspection i have it done by an external inspector this makes sure that i'm not being in favour of my own kit and that all my record keeping is all up to speed. The law states that you should not inspect kit in fear or favour. LOLER inspectors also have a duty to report any dangerous kit or kit that if used would cause death or serious injury to H&Se (but i'm hardly gonna climb around in something that i think is going to fail) so by having an external inspector every 2 or 3 inspec this is ok.

A little reminder that all climbers, by law should be carrying out weekly recorded checks on there kit (this is the basic check you get shown on your climbing course). Climbing kit is then checked every 6months (LOLER Inspec) & rigging kit is checked every 12 months (LOLER Inspec). Sorry if this has been boring but hopefully helpful.

It's your insurance company who will have the most interest in the inspections. I have known them to accept people doing their own inspections provided the inspections are recorded. That way they have someone to point the finger at. If your insurance co is happy, that's probably all that's needed.