how much do you think your worth???

desired_affect

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What difference does that make if your no good? Not saying you are no good:001_tongue: Sometimes you'll get that as a one off, but to be getting that everyday?

I guess what desired effect is asking is what our skills are truly worth, not what equipment you can bring to the party. Most good companies that will be getting the majority of big jobs will already have most of the kit, organise cranes etc, what they don't always have is the skilled climber so what the climbers experience and ability is worth is more relevent imo.

I pride myself on safety and quality not speed, sure some can do it quicker than me but can they do it as good and safe, not always. Does this make me i worth less than a fast climber? The fact is i'm happy i always have work and good work so i cannot grumble even though i wish i could charge a higher rate.

I feel i should be on 150-160 minimum a day the reality is not so and the exceptional climbers of which there are very few should be on over 200 a day.

I am happy I earn enough to have a fairly comfortable living doing something i really enjoy that in itself is worth a lot, its my future that is not so clear cut i can't garantee what will happen I have aspirations we'll just wait and see, it would be nice to earn a higher rate to safe gaurd my future as i doubt i'll be a viable commercial treeworker past my fifties.

dont get me wrong , i know what you mean . i would not say that im the fastest of climbers but i pride my self on getting the job done safely and to the highest of standards , i run my own company and we do get a large share of the big jobs down here . i have had "fast" climbers come to work for me and 2 out of 3 times it has ended in tears when something gets broken .

but down here in cornwall there are not many firms that will pay any more than £120 a day for a spot on climber . 3 years ago i was subbing out to companies with all of my own saws , climbing gear and a lowering kit and i could still only get £80 a day

Surely you don't mean Steve or Tim ? They're only worth 40.00 a day at most :tongue_smilie::thumbup:

Yeah but for that 40, they'd be getting a cook-up, for the other 160 they cook their own food!! Thing is the way I see it is that if a climber can earn you good money on a job, with no damage, then they are also worth good money. This is called an incentive. For 150-200 the climber needs to tick all the boxes in the right order, and I have found very, very few people that this applies to:wink:

i think if i was working as a subby climber using my own climbing gear , saws from my ms200 - ms880 , pluss a lowering kit i would expect no less than 250 a day

You'd be best preparred to sit at home a lot then, jobs that can pay a subbie climber £250 a day are very few and far between

A good decent climber that can do any job will earn around £100 a day here going up to about £140-150 at the very very most.

We are only worth what the regional market will dictate and that aint very much at all.

Can get climbers in with 5+ years experience for under £80 no problem.

We have some very good climbers on the books full time, and one subbie who comes with his own kit and saw and again is A1, he gets regular work and comes in at around a £100 a day.

I personally wouldn't pay any more than that as I don't pay myself any more than that, and I have a lot more responsibility.

We have some very good climbers on the books full time, and one subbie who comes with his own kit and saw and again is A1, he gets regular work and comes in at around a £100 a day.

I personally wouldn't pay any more than that as I don't pay myself any more than that, and I have a lot more responsibility.

:crying: still this thread is what do you think your worth. You obviously must know your worth a lot more than that. This is a cruel trade, at those rates profits can be hit hard when equipment fails or jobs go wrong/over run.

This industry is messed up!

The groundies where i work can get more than £100 a day climbers 125-150 but then realistically this is not the norm i'm not naive to think otherwise. But feel this is a more appropiate pay but still could be and should be better.