danshayler

Personally at your age and with the choice of free training I would choose another career to take abroad.

You will be in your early 40's by the time you have gained enough experience to be handy climbing wise. A 40 year old bloke with just a few years experience is not the most attractive employee.

fully qualified climber in 28 days! That sounds like the course I'm after.

You wont be fully qualified by a long chalk, what you will have will be the bare minimum handful of competences that will allow you to work commercially (in the UK at least)

Experience is key, question is do you have enough career time left?

I added my climbing tickets to my portfolio at the grand old age of 38 and have never had a problem finding work due to lack of experience or competance.

After all not every builder starts out constructing 4 lane highways or highrise hotels.

Last year my company in it's 3rd year put 200k through the books and created work enough for 3 full time (including me) and 2 part-time employees plus several subbies.

You don't need to be the best climber in the world to make your way, that is clear.

Alot of our work just requires reasonable 'competance' for small-medium tree pruning or removal, hedge cutting, hedge removal in fact stuff where climbing is not at it's leading technical edge.

We have never yet turned down a job due to lack of experience or competance.

I always know where to find it if we lack it.

Experience comes with the work you find for yourself and with those you choose to work with/employ.

Best of luck with your travels

Ty

Its experience that takes the longest to attain, obviously. Become a climber in 28 days, become an experienced all round climber in 10 years.

What he said.

NPTC Certs mean that you'll be a qualified saw user and tree climber with that saw.

They do NOT mean you're a qualified tree surgeon.

I answer to one of your other questions Danshayler, age is mostly irrelevant. By being older you'll hopefully be inclined to work smarter not harder.

You wont be fully qualified by a long chalk, what you will have will be the bare minimum handful of competences that will allow you to work commercially (in the UK at least)

Experience is key, question is do you have enough career time left?

Totally agree with you on this one :001_smile:

Personally at your age and with the choice of free training I would choose another career to take abroad.

You will be in your early 40's by the time you have gained enough experience to be handy climbing wise. A 40 year old bloke with just a few years experience is not the most attractive employee.

Many ex forces on here . I myself would opt for a less physical role in the work place if I were in your shoes . Having served myself I would look at tree work /climbing as a very arduous day to day task . Hard on the body and mind . If your an Infantryman NCO or other and you think your fit . Offer a days free groundwork for a local company ? Id sooner do a 13 miler with full kit in the brecon beacons . As I hate dragging brash past flower pots that fall over and ridiculously stupid access scenarios . Not to mention postage stamp drop zones when you finally get to climb ? :biggrin:

Having been in this game for 28 years plus I have to agree with Mikes words. Choose an easier way to earn a crust mate

I'm inclined to agree with the guys saying it's fairly late to start; and it probably would be if you were coming from an office job or such. However by the sounds of it you're a pretty fit guy, so why not? So long as you've the aptitude for it you'll be good. I think that's what allot of mediocre climbers lack.

One of the best guys I know at dismantles started when he was 30...

Just be aware it is a pretty saturated market here in the UK, going abroad sounds like a good plan.

• 3 months later...