Prussic loops

Jonesie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

puwer would know

Yeah he would, but for some reason he's keeping his head down.

When myself and my fellow student did our Arb course we were taught to splice our own three strand prussick loops and eye splices.

I don't know the legal aspects of making and selling loops.

Climber I have recently working with has been tyeing his loops on his lanyard incorrectly, ie, the legs of the knots coming out the same way rather than opposite each other, I was taught that this was wrong, he was pretty defensive with me, I just said "Look, I'm just telling you what I have been taught, It's up to you what you do"

I dunno, my information could be wrong for all I know.

Onto my soap box quickly.

The arb guy at our local shop doesnt like splices, Dont know why (he wasnt there to comment).

Any climber who cant tie 3 basic knots (prussic, bowline and a figure 8) should be slapped. in reality they are all you need. fishermans etc come in one you 'progress' past a single hank of rope.

by progress i mean actually start climbing.

Jamie

When I did one of my nptc's we had some council crew members on the course, these guys did'nt climb on a weekly basis, there kit was bought for them and had to comply by all loler regs.

They were supplied with pre made prussik loops which were marked and dated, these loops would last them at least 6 months.

Their kit was very basic, comprising of bare minimum essentials, and used very rarely judging by the condition.

I imagine pre made prussik loops would be ideal for them?

But for me and most opf the members here buying pre-made loops can seem pointless or even stupid.

I for one replace my cord fortnightly or weekly, buying pre made loops or even spliced eye 2 eye cords would be a little to expensive for my needs.

He will even tie some with new cord and mark them up i always prefere to tie my own wouldn't trust anyone else at work to do it, Be lucky if some of them can tie there shoe laces IMO lol. Surely if you make prussiks up to sell then, they have to be tested like any other bit of kit.