Going to take up some carp any tips on kit thanks

mendiplogs

Last carp rod I brought was 1.5 lb test curb Wychwood ,just went for a light rod I could use for carp stalking on farm ponds with some nice wild fish but It got smashed to bits last year by an angry 14lb salmon that broke the tip when I tried to net it to early with a too short landing net!! It didn't make a great salmon rod but Was a great rod for its intended purpose though! Great fun stalking them with floating crust on a summers evening.

I've seen those shimanos go from £30-60 second hand , brought cheaper reels and they have fallen to bits after a few trips out.. Thing I like about them is they take the constant abuse of spinning for salmon as well as just put down and wait carp or pike reels.

All the fishing around me now is game now but I think the last carp I caught any way was on a dog biscuit fly... Carp on a fly rod is great fun.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last carp rod I brought was 1.5 lb test curb Wychwood ,just went for a light rod I could use for carp stalking on farm ponds with some nice wild fish but It got smashed to bits last year by an angry 14lb salmon that broke the tip when I tried to net it to early with a too short landing net!! It didn't make a great salmon rod but Was a great rod for its intended purpose though! Great fun stalking them with floating crust on a summers evening.

I've seen those shimanos go from £30-60 second hand , brought cheaper reels and they have fallen to bits after a few trips out.. Thing I like about them is they take the constant abuse of spinning for salmon as well as just put down and wait carp or pike reels.

All the fishing around me now is game now but I think the last carp I caught any way was on a dog biscuit fly... Carp on a fly rod is great fun.

Hi MATTY that's the size of rod test I'm after but there's people say no you need 3lb winch I think is over kill I think 2 lb) 2:5lb max what do you think there's some lots of 10)15lb and 30lb in the lake thanks but it only small thanks Jon

Sure Jon 2lb Max mate if I was buying another , I've got a couple of 2.5lb test curb rods and you can drag any thing around and through with them but you can't feel a thing just like pulling a dead weight with the occasional kick with fish, I like to give them a chance :) .

Get a fly rod Jon and chuck out some dog biscuits to get them feeding then cast out a super glued or imitation dog biscuit with a 15lb leader , you really feel how carp fight on a fly rod.

Hi MATTY there was a chap out at the lakes on fly rod look great fun mate thanks Jon

Sure Jon 2lb Max mate if I was buying another , I've got a couple of 2.5lb test curb rods and you can drag any thing around and through with them but you can't feel a thing just like pulling a dead weight with the occasional kick with fish, I like to give them a chance :) .

Totally agree Matty. Also I expect you have also seen the results of rough handling.

Some years ago I was fishing a lake containing carp of 1 to 15lb, the guy next to me hooked a carp say around 8lb. Looked away then back a minute or so later and he had it on the bank, its mouth torn and bleeding through being winched in as Jon put it. Long time ago now but I think he said something like 20 lb line with a 4 lb tc rod. Many fish that lake while on holiday and just bring heavy tackle, it explains why that lake is full of fish with ripped and deformed mouths.

6 to 8lb line with a 1.25 TC rod is ideal for those smaller fish IMO.

I use 8 or 15lb line on a 1.75 TC for up to 30lb. I must admit though that big carp take a bit of stopping with light tackle but thats half the fun of fishing.

Totally agree Matty. Also I expect you have also seen the results of rough handling.

Some years ago I was fishing a lake containing carp of 1 to 15lb, the guy next to me hooked a carp say around 8lb. Looked away then back a minute or so later and he had it on the bank, its mouth torn and bleeding through being winched in as Jon put it. Long time ago now but I think he said something like 20 lb line with a 4 lb tc rod. Many fish that lake while on holiday and just bring heavy tackle, it explains why that lake is full of fish with ripped and deformed mouths.

I use 8 or 15lb line on a 1.75 TC for up to 30lb. I must admit though that big carp take a bit of stopping with light tackle but thats half the fun of fishing.

Hi Cornish just got in and there's one chap at our local lake just mins ago had 9lb carp out on 8lb main line 6lb hook length size of hook 18 on hair rig very light kit all so looked the part to the carp did not spook the fish As it look natural to them Thanks Jon

Hi Cornish on light kit what size hook would use for carp one chap tonight was useing 16)18 and one other chap used 8 thanks but am right in thinking use too large hook and it may spoke the fish thanks John

Hi Cornish on light kit what size hook would use for carp one chap tonight was useing 16)18 and one other chap used 8 thanks but am right in thinking use too large hook and it may spoke the fish thanks John

Depends on the bait. With bread crust a bigger hook holds it better. Normally I use a 6 or 8 for bread but I have been known to use a 4 in a big piece especially if it is a bit soft and falls off smaller ones. I normally use 8, 10 or 12 in a chunk of luncheon meat. I guess sweetcorn or maggots 16 to 18 but I never can be bothered with small fiddlely hooks. I like to fully hide the hook inside the bait unless I am using a hair rig in which case I use around a 12. Most carp are short sighted so no problem there but touching the hook presumably could spook them. Bait movement is by far the most important imo. I normally use braided hook lengths which allow the bait to move more naturally. Free lining on the surface I have seen carp swim around bread, workout which is moving wrong, eat all the pieces except the one with the hook in, swipe that one with their tail which knocks it off the hook then eat it seconds later. I always use a length of braided now and they find it harder to work out which piece has the hook. Same applies to soaked dog biscuits on the surface.