It was going great until....

Haironyourchest

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leafcut, many thanks for watching!

Mick, I would have preferred to take the powerhead but the blasted outboard clutch on the Husqs forbids it (unless there's a trick Im not aware of - if anyone knows PLEASE tell me - this is not the first time this has happened)

It's Daddy's saw so would have had to replace with same if nicked or damaged. Luckily there's not much crime round these parts, way up the back of beyond as well...

Next saw will be inboard, just so much handier. Thinking about 880 for milling up those trees, but don't know if I can justify it. Have a mill for the 394 and it works with the three foot bar but I feel it strains the machine just a bit..... I dunno...

why did you cut those sections out the sides? id have just cut my scarf or face cut out from both sides with the big husky, then 1/4 from the rear.

you may have found if the weight was pulling over that side, having the shorter hinge would have allowed it to fall that way regardless, even if you had lined the hinge up perfectly.

the edges of the hinge are the most effective & you cut them away.

Hi chrism3513, appreciate the comment!

yes you're right, would have been a better job to not narrow the tree down. The reason I did that was simply because I wasn't confident lining up my cuts if I went in from both sides of the tree.

The other trees were smaller diameter and it was hard to visualise the straight cuts inside the big gnarly roundy stem. So I thought it might be easier if I could start with some flat planes, and also narrow the stem so I could see the tip of the bar out the other side. I tried using a small spirit level and some rope to mark out the cuts on a previous tree, which kind of worked, but was rushing to finish the job and didn't bother doing that with the big boy.

This was the widest tree I have felled so far, the stuff I usually deal with (as it comes up in maintenance work) is much smaller.

My usual approach on trees over a foot and a half is to set up the cuts, leaving a somewhat oversize hinge, then apply a little tension with my tirfor. If she won't come, then I gently stroke the back of the hinge a bit and crank a bit more. I have read that 90% of fatal tree accidents occur within five feet of the tree, so I like to be away. If I get bad vibes I work on the hinge with my pole saw, if possible.

Cheers guys. Yes the little level came in handy - don't know if being dead level is really all that important, but why not? Often wished my saws had built in bubbles....Maybe should mention it to Husqvarna et al.

Learning curve is right...maybe one day I'll have the nuts to climb!!