What felling cut

jase8519

If you're climbing it can be quite tricky to do a dogtooth style bore and release cut.

Nothing wrong doing the cuts it sounds like he was doing if you have a sharp saw and experience to power through on the top cut.

Difficult to say but id probably have done the same, maybe a thin gob, maybe not, probably taken the ears off quite deep too. wouldn't have stepped it though, probably tried to line up the cuts.

Gobs take time and they need picked up, plenty of power and horse through, obviously there's more to it but over the years I just do things and don't think about it.

I usually use a dog tooth to save moving round the trunk.

If he Barbour chaired once, he shouldn't of done it twice imo on the same tree.

I line my cuts up on bigger stuff. Be careful using outboard cuts, I've found they sometimes take the saw with them.

Yep I do find that to, more so with new stihl 201t then the old 200t.

On bigger sections I tend to put a gob in 1st. It does depend on what the job is though.

Doesn't matter if it takes slightly longer, you have to do what you think safest really

if the limbs are near horizontal then a "box cut" will work well letting the branch fall flat to the ground.

deep under cut, then two side cuts followed by a fast top cut all in the same plain, only learnt this cut a while back but seems good so far, iam sure others can elaberate more on it.

carl

So what is the max diameter you would use a step cut ?

As gerbutt has said, big ones are pretty much in line. So there's no upper limit of size, as the diameter increases the step distance decreases until it's zero. It's very hard to flat fall big branches anyway, and rarely a luxury that's available. I love those occasional days when I get to free fall everything off a big tree. That's when you get to experiment.