Do students learn any thing?

Theocus

i did the FdSc at college and learned loads. the tutors were spot on. if they didnt think you were any good theyd be upfront and say youre in the wrong profession. about 20 lads started the course and about 10 finished. if youre keen and you wanna learn then i think you can get a massive amount out of college and get a good grounding to make a start in the industry. its all about what you put in. some students would moan about having to learn 20 new species each week. wtf? youre doin a course about trees. in the practical side we'd be worked hard and pushed out of our comfort zones and not put under any illusion thats its a glory job, being paid millions for swinging around trees all day. obviously this type of work suits some and doesnt suit others, the ones that arent up to it leave quickly.

there wasnt a single lad on that course who thought theyd come out of it as a top notch tree surgeon, its just a very good grounding to get started.

the one thing i cant stand about this industry is the macho element. the best climbers ive worked with are the down to earth, relaxed, modest type who encourage the rookies instead of whinging at them for being slow. its a risky job so new climbers need to think things through more and double check what theyre doing.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did the FdSc at college and learned loads. the tutors were spot on. if they didnt think you were any good theyd be upfront and say youre in the wrong profession. about 20 lads started the course and about 10 finished. if youre keen and you wanna learn then i think you can get a massive amount out of college and get a good grounding to make a start in the industry. its all about what you put in. some students would moan about having to learn 20 new species each week. wtf? youre doin a course about trees. in the practical side we'd be worked hard and pushed out of our comfort zones and not put under any illusion thats its a glory job, being paid millions for swinging around trees all day. obviously this type of work suits some and doesnt suit others, the ones that arent up to it leave quickly.

there wasnt a single lad on that course who thought theyd come out of it as a top notch tree surgeon, its just a very good grounding to get started.

the one thing i cant stand about this industry is the macho element. the best climbers ive worked with are the down to earth, relaxed, modest type who encourage the rookies instead of whinging at them for being slow. its a risky job so new climbers need to think things through more and double check what theyre doing.

Yup-glad you noticed that, pity they don't last in most company's-but you learn the most from them

K

Hi guys i would just like to express my views from a current national diploma students prospective.

To give you the lowdown i worked as a groundsman for a couple of tree companies for a year before taking the plunge and joining Askham Bryan college on the National Diploma Forestry and Arboriculture. Not only have i learnt loads more about trees and the work involved in Arboriculture i have gained my cs 30.38 this year just gone and 31.39 to follow shortly.

The staff are massively dedicated with oodles of experience and teach us as much as possible with the limited time and resources they have, from being safe on the work site to the I.D of trees in winter

I do feel college courses have bad press for the following reasons:

The courses attract lads with a cant be arsed attitude who just wanna get there ticket and go and climb trees for no less than £500 per week at 17 years old !

These lads have little or no prior knowledge of working in land based industry or tree work

I have watched the instructors spend soul destroying amounts of time and energy chasing for coursework, repeating things normally to do with safety and trying to explain they wont be earning £500 per week when they leave etc

You can do a PASS which means you can do next to nothing for each peice of coursework or a MERIT/DISTINCTION which has considerably more depth of research and meaning and therefore takes considerably more time and effort

With current equal opportunities and 'bums on seats make money for the college' instructors are bound over to try and make the most dangerous and incompetent students safe with a chainsaw etc when sometimes i feel it would be kinder and safer for them to turn around and say 'look im sorry but you , chainsaws and trees will never mix' you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes !

All this reflects badly on us as the student as we leave for work experience

But please as employers/fellow work colleagues, give us a chance !

Although my current work experience employers, who i have never met before are slightly biased against college courses with the usuall phrase being 'so they do teach you something at college ! ' I couldn't wish for a more genuine bunch of lads who are willing to help and train me further to a standard that will not just get me by ,but help me succeed as a competent crew member/climber in this industry

To sum up i believe you definately get out what you put into the N.D course but it just IS NOT regimented enough for the average 16-21 yr old yes they'll have a ND on paper at a PASS level but back ground knowledge may be very ropey !

Just my sixpence worth

• 2 months later...

The problem in my opinion is that colleges will hand a piece of paper to just about anyone these days whether they can do the job or not.

I'm doing a BSc Hons in Arb and think the course is good, i've not struggled [perhaps up til now] to find work even as an undergraduate. The modules are good, the practical NPTCs are there and the tutors for the most part know their stuff. The problems come from the students themselves who seem too lazy to want to learn anything and believe if they're paying for a degree then they shall be awarded a degree. Unfortunately it kind of seems true.

One example being in the woodland management module. Assignment is to locate a woodland between 5 and 25Ha in size and prepare a 10 year woodland management plan.

First hand goes up

"Yes?"

"Where am I supposed to find a woodland?"

Questions like this are common and make you want to do a face palm. Instead of failing they're half quietly ushered through to look good on the results tables and pass rates etc and then the industry gets a hold of these people and remarks on how crap we all are.

I came out of college from doing an NA. arb, and it took about a week of f/t employment to realise that I knew very little about the industry, and after nearly 9 years im still learning. But then that is what I love about it, the evolution of arboriculture. New ideas, kit, and tricks make this one of the most exciting industries..................................................................................................................................................................in the world (jeremy clarkson style)

My advise to anyone starting out in the industry would be, listen and learn as much as you can, and dont be afraid to voice opionions or ideas, look into the history of the industry (you dont know where you are going unless you know where you have been, will smith, men in black).

You get what you put in!

Colleges wont hold your hand the same way schools will, if the college hasn't time to give you climbing practice, get of your arse and get some in yourself , go round any local companies and offer you services in return for experience.

Good college work along with good practicle experience will surely give you a good worker, as long as the possess the skills needed, and not suffer from vertigo!!!!

Thats why I'm in forestry! 1 cut at the bottom , bish bash boom!

Arrive at work on time.

Ask questions ALL the time.

Go to bed at a ‘normal’ hour.

Leave the attitude at home.

Yes we do learn stuff i have just started and i learning things i never new something we are getting told we think had nothing to do with the job but were getting told it dose oh well

The things we always get told SAFTEY IS EVERYTHING and also what John said.