Do students learn any thing?

Theocus

agree to an extent, but when it all goes @its up and HSE get involved the first thing they will ask for is records of training, quals, paperwork etc. Any one can say they have loades of "experiance" but it might be the wrong experience and they be totally useless.

If you keep a book and write down and record everything in that book that is enough.

Name, date and what you have done, ie:

Introduced to basic safety devices on chipper.

Introduced to basic operation of chipper

Shown how to inspect kit pre climb

Shown how to tie Bowline

etc etc

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IRATA requires a log book scheme to progress up the ranks,

do you have to keep records of training and hours logged for the ISA stuff?

Jamie

i did the training for my level 1 IRATA but never took it any further as i was told that i had to do a certain amount of hours in any one period of time to keep it all in date . i now wish i had gone and worked through the levels

The way I see the law and qualifications, they are NOT a legal requirement, you may leave yourself open to prosecution by not having them or making sure the people you employee have them.

To illustrate:- If someone leaves a sack of potato's on the pavement out side their house, on the pavement, and some one trips over it and injures them self. The person who left the sack on the pavement would be liable and could be prosecuted.

Does that mean it is "illegal" to leave a sack of potatoes on the pavement?? of cause not!! BUT if you do you COULD be liable.

As for experience not being enough and the "fancy lawyers" thats what was said about land owners and VTI. There was a recent case where a tree failed causing damage to a car, the car owner sued the tree owner. Every one said he was in the brown stuff, as he had not had the trees inspected by a "qualified person". BUT NO the judge saw sense and accepted that the inspections done by the "experienced" estate workers were fine!

There was a recent case where a tree failed causing damage to a car, the car owner sued the tree owner. Every one said he was in the brown stuff, as he had not had the trees inspected by a "qualified person". BUT NO the judge saw sense and accepted that the inspections done by the "experienced" estate workers were fine!

To be fair if this is the same case, I think the car driver lost that case because the expert witness his lawyer had hired had claimed that the damage to the limb that had broken was visible from the ground and had been missed by the estate workers. In fact it was proved by another expert witness that the damage would not have been visible from the ground and therefore the estate workers could not have seen it. It is still accepted that lay inspections are ok so long as experts are called in in the event of defects being discovered.:001_smile:

I have to admit, the next guy I take on will have to have an interview and send in a propper CV because I've had some really bad experiences with numpties over the last year and that has probably clouded my vision somewhat.

I don't wish to talk out of place here but would any-one REALLY take on a new employee without an interview, C.V or practical testing etc...?

Myself, I have only the basic tickets from Merrist Wood and with these I shall work for myself within the limits of my capabilities until I build up a portfolio of experiences that allow me to take on greater tasks.

You won't see me hanging from 30metre storm damaged specimens overhanging powerlines for a wee while yet.

Jack Kenyon and his team do the best they can with a variable intake in just 10 weeks.

I loved it and wished I had the time and money to study for longer.

I am looking forward to my first job self employed in Bretagne France come September.

I don't wish to talk out of place here but would any-one REALLY take on a new employee without an interview, C.V or practical testing etc...?

Myself, I have only the basic tickets from Merrist Wood and with these I shall work for myself within the limits of my capabilities until I build up a portfolio of experiences that allow me to take on greater tasks.

You won't see me hanging from 30metre storm damaged specimens overhanging powerlines for a wee while yet.

Jack Kenyon and his team do the best they can with a variable intake in just 10 weeks.

I loved it and wished I had the time and money to study for longer.

I am looking forward to my first job self employed in Bretagne France come September.

its really good to hear that there are still a few students leaving college with the right ideas and that are not full of bravardo !!! i hope all goes well working for your self .

Jack Kenyon taught me when i was at merrist wood and to be honest i fell very fortunate to have been taught by a guy with as knuch knowledge and pasion for the job .