Wasps AAARRRGGHHH

White Noise

Not the first thread on waspys this year. I supposed I was ignorant of the effect of the stings because I've been shocked at the extent of reactions of some here. The only person I've ever been with who's endured multiple stings treats them like mossie bites; he just says 'ow' and gets on with it, even after the fifth of sixth sting. Me? Got one the other week - my first for a while - and my forearm was tight with swelling for 12 hours after.

Get yourselves 1) Piriton for immediate treatment, 2) an ammonia pen such as After Bite; it kills the stinging from all stings and the itching from bites.

And I love seeing hornets about; there aren't enough of them!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were removing some dead Elms, they were on a very busy A road, so we had a road closure for 8pm Sunday till 5am Monday.

We had done three the previous Sunday and had two left, I got there and the client said "bad news theres a wasp's nest in one of them".

Any way, had a look and it looked as though they were going in through a hole under some moss, I took a pop bottle with some petrol up with me, I was going to pour fuel into the nest and set it alight. Done it before works a treat.

Turned out there was no nest, they where just feeding on the sugary sap leaching from the bark, I got on and dismantled the tree they took no interest in me at all.

I took a pop bottle with some petrol up with me, I was going to pour fuel into the nest and set it alight. Done it before works a treat.

Trouble is if it had been them Hornets Dave, they'd have taken that bottle off you, give you a good kicking and set you alight mate, they're right hard nuts :001_smile:

was taking a conifer down yesterday and at the bottom of it was a huge wasps nest, had to try and work round it by wearing a jumper and trying to cover up every bit of my body. sun was blazing aswell which dint help! found out that if someone uses the blower to keep them away kind of works, but my dad got stung while doing it :L they went mad so we had to LEG IT. seen alot of big yellow wasp type things with legs and a big sting aswell :S

Never had a Hornet sting me, so not sure how bad they are.

But they look like Messerschmitts compared to the Wasps, which look like kytes in comparison.

We caught a large wasp the other day and gently pinned him down and the number of times his sting was shot out was amazing not to mention the amount of venom he left . They are none the less amazing creatures . Messerschmitts yes a fair comparison. Yours look like something from Jason and the argonauts .:001_smile: