Why have chainsaws got worse?

Sub Arb ltd

Husky 560xp IMO is the the best 60cc saw ever produced

It depends on how you quantify....the best! Best handling, most power, most torque, best power to weight, best reliability, best to work on, best on fuel consumption, best user experience, best residual price on resell.......

Much has to be said for saws like the 254XP and 346XP where they put in daily use, high hours and just.....keep on going with little in the way of issues.

I have had 254XPs in still going strong after 10 years + use.....makes them hard to beat on many counts IMO.

I like the 560 but the longevity of the carbs and crankshaft bearings isn't great - you just need to have a few days downtime to lose the value of the saw:thumbdown:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By best I mean, best to use, power, vibe levels etc, compared to my other saws it's like using Ferrari instead of a subaru, maybe they won't last as long but there a joy to use and I suppose like anything else high performance usually means high maintenance.

I have a 346, 435, 350, 357, 266, 560 and a 371 in the shed at home all good saws for different reasons but the 560 is the one I normally go for first now

The 560 is a great saw after having trouble with an early model I discounted it but after using one the other day it is a joy to use light nimble quick response flys through timber. I just wonder if it will be as reliable as the Stihl I don't think the 560 like been left stood they need to be used and hard.

It depends on how you quantify....the best! Best handling, most power, most torque, best power to weight, best reliability, best to work on, best on fuel consumption, best user experience, best residual price on resell.......

Much has to be said for saws like the 254XP and 346XP where they put in daily use, high hours and just.....keep on going with little in the way of issues.

I have had 254XPs in still going strong after 10 years + use.....makes them hard to beat on many counts IMO.

I like the 560 but the longevity of the carbs and crankshaft bearings isn't great - you just need to have a few days downtime to lose the value of the saw:thumbdown:

NUT SHELL Steve . The best is always the best ntill it goes wrong :biggrin:

I think the throw away culture is the cause, we repair very little now. The scale of items which are considered disposable is increasing, the iron breaks buy a new one etc. I think technically modern stuff is better but is not designed to last, however the relative purchase cost as has been pointed out is much lower making it more affordable to replace after a period of time and not expect items to last a lifetime.

Case in point, my dad's forty year old socket set which he commented the other week cost him the best part of a months wages when he bought it. However despite being used heavily for the first ten years until he was provided tools to use and thirty years of constant small amounts of use it is going strong and I expect I will pass it on at some point. My tools I know they will be in the scrap bin in a few years.

Hi

Agree entirely, new saws buggered by EU daft emissions policies

Manufacturers also seem to make parts less reliable - built in obsolescence to boost profits

Gimmicks that dont work: - Stihl flip caps? - utter junk, Tool-less tensioners? dont work, just what is so hard about 2 nuts & a screw?

Oh & fancy electronic stuff that goes wrong, usually expensive to fix - no thanks.

Husqvarna 3 series all the way from now: 346, 365 & hopefully a 390 will be my line up.

N

Edited by NFG

I think the throw away culture is the cause, we repair very little now. The scale of items which are considered disposable is increasing, the iron breaks buy a new one etc. I think technically modern stuff is better but is not designed to last, however the relative purchase cost as has been pointed out is much lower making it more affordable to replace after a period of time and not expect items to last a lifetime.

Case in point, my dad's forty year old socket set which he commented the other week cost him the best part of a months wages when he bought it. However despite being used heavily for the first ten years until he was provided tools to use and thirty years of constant small amounts of use it is going strong and I expect I will pass it on at some point. My tools I know they will be in the scrap bin in a few years.

I think part of this is cultural, I believe the Chinese have no word for cobbler, they did not repair shoes and clothes, they have always replaced rather than repair, this has also been their way as they have taken over the production of motor cycles, cars, etc,etc.