Extensive risk assesment

Andymacp

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... but I also want to see that at 9am I have the right people you said you would send, their valid tickets if I haven't seen them before and a current (ie dynamic) assessment of the situation today - not yesterday or last year.

My link to this industry..... is this relevant? Am I not merely climbing the other side of the tree to the critics on the forum of the work I do?

I think the link is relevant. Generally the hs don't really have an understanding what tree work is in reality in terms of what the risks are and how these risks are to be reduced. Is this not for those who are involved more within the arb business to identify the risk and how to both quantify it and reduce it. If you (not saying you do or don't) have a good understanding of tree work.the machinery and risk involved then how can it be determined the risk assessment is deficient. Yes you know about health and safety but do you know the specifics with regards the arb world. I could do you an arb risk or method statement but I couldn't do one for building a wall or supplying an engineering solution on site as I don't have the knowledge much like many hs officers don't have knowledge of tree work.

Bloody hell Steve, have you had a night at a crack house?

Just on my way there now Kevin.... after I kick the dog and stamp on the flowers.

Been in this industry for 25 years - seen a few things and never knew H&S wasn't liked :thumbup:

I have also been to a few places where they don't have 'the Nanny State' or Nazi OSH people. If some of the posters on here had been with me I expect they would think how lucky they were to have the standards and respect for human life that we have in this country.

I'll tell people why I adopt such a high and mighty position - because I care about my job. I go to work to make sure others go home. When people start belittling this I make it my business to put them right.

Now, having at least made a few people stop and think (hopefully differently) I deserve a pint.....

... but I also want to see that at 9am I have the right people you said you would send, their valid tickets if I haven't seen them before and a current (ie dynamic) assessment of the situation today - not yesterday or last year.

My link to this industry..... is this relevant? Am I not merely climbing the other side of the tree to the critics on the forum of the work I do?

Clearly never heard of id cards and on site site specific risk assessment which supplement and often supersede pre prepared method statement and generic assessments but refer back to them. Both of which are easily provided and discussed on site and even amended as the job progress because remember tree work is dynamic and risks can present themselves part way through a job and also be removed part way through and should be recorded thus.

I think the link is relevant. Generally the hs don't really have an understanding what tree work is in reality in terms of what the risks are and how these risks are to be reduced. Is this not for those who are involved more within the arb business to identify the risk and how to both quantify it and reduce it. If you (not saying you do or don't) have a good understanding of tree work.the machinery and risk involved then how can it be determined the risk assessment is deficient. Yes you know about health and safety but do you know the specifics with regards the arb world. I could do you an arb risk or method statement but I couldn't do one for building a wall or supplying an engineering solution on site as I don't have the knowledge much like many hs officers don't have knowledge of tree work.

This is the point I am trying to make, Thankyou.

Little wonder your not making much of an impact on here with your attitude.

I think a lot of HS advisors need to have there ego massaged and caressed the ones that don't usually leave a lasting impression with there no nonsense approach.

Its a serous subject but doesn't need ramming down your throat.

I've been in engineering for40+ years and worked for companies including the MOD, their suppliers and now currently horticultural maintenance. I have found generally that most in the HS industry are reasonable people. They do need a working knowledge of what is going on to understand the risks but at the end of the day they are there for us.

I wonder if Steve is deliberately winding us up with his ''they shall not pass'' approach to get his point across.

I think the problem with H&S is that it's applied with no common sense. I work as a civil engineer in construction. On one motorway site I was working on the delivery lorries had "Highway Maintenance" warning signs. The H&S guy made the haulage contractor replace the signs with "Motorway Maintenance".... You work out how much it would cost to replace the signs on a few dozen vehicles. Maybe a thousand quid for no real H&S benefit...

I was starting to accept some of the points steve raised then I left the house and drove past the local brand new safe soft surface kids play area. The 3 kids playing had bump hats on not make do cycle helmets but purpose made play ground safety hats. Now are these parents being response able or have we completely lost our way.

I have plenty to say about h&s and will consider how to put my side of things without looking like an anti. Luckily I am in my late 40's and after 30'years experience have the option to get out the industry. I hope the next generation are keen to embrace this ridiculous paper work culture. As Mortimer says above,h&s should be about protecting the work force and using a common sense approach. It's not who can piss furthest on a piece of paper.

The more professional companies we work for have an in depth logical approach an are easy to work with. Then you get the fancy management suites with allocated parking spaces awkward people drawing fat salaries running their empires badly.