Hand Winch

SPC Trees

I used a monkey winch years ago, very, very powerful. It did not have a reverse on it so imagine you could get yourself in trouble. I got a little 1.5 ton tirfor now and it is ace. Like Mark says, i would not want to cart a heavier one around. A mate has 3 ton one and it is very heavy.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a monkey winch years ago, very, very powerful. It did not have a reverse on it so imagine you could get yourself in trouble. I got a little 1.5 ton tirfor now and it is ace. Like Mark says, i would not want to cart a heavier one around. A mate has 3 ton one and it is very heavy.

What model mark. Something like the TU16?

Yes I have a Tirfor and have had it for about 20 years. Think mine is the TU16 variety and will do everything I ask bearing in mind if you did need that bit more then you can always use pulley blocks to up the mechanical advantage. Mine has pulled trees and vehicles with no issue and I've never needed to change the shear pins. I have had Landrovers upside down and well bogged but this has always come to the rescue.

I think I would find the bigger model too awkward for general usage and unnecessary given I have the snatch blocks.

Pay once cry once is the old saying and I think it applies here.

Has anyone used the 12V winches from ebay? They're plentiful, cheap and rated to pull very high loads for their size. Legit?

Also, do you put the winch on your truck or your wood chipper, please? I don't have any winch at all at the moment and I'm considering my options.

I have a Tirfor which I got second hand on eBay for not very much money a few years back its got a 1980 date stamp on it so it's older than me but it still works good as new. One of the best value bits of kit I have ever bought. It's the 3ton model and is mighty heavy, using it feels like a workout. But it's saved the day countless times and payed for itself over and over again.

So if you want a cheap alternative to a Tirfor how about a preloved one?