Hand Winch

SPC Trees

Tirfor being the daddy of all winches. There's lots of cheaper models on the market now, Yaletrac & Jet being a couple of them.

Anybody use a 'cheaper' version and recommend it? I'm talking about winches up to 3200kg...

Mainly to aid the odd awkward tree, stumps and the wagon getting stuck.

Thanks...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a Jet winch for years, pulled some big stumps and some big trees.

I went for the 1800kg (or maybe 1600?) because the 3200 is such a PITA to cart about.

Lugall are great because of the in-built cable storage, and are probably handier, but doubling up for a bigger pull can leave you short of cable.

I fancy a Maasdam rope-puller for the woods, but they are silly money over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Draper hand winch, had mine for a while now. Used it for retaining windblown stumps, pulling a stuck tracked chipper out of a deep ditch, assisted fells and so on. Not let me down so far. £120 complete with 20m cable and spare shear pins. Rated to 4.5t straight pull if I remember correctly :confused1:

I have used a few winches, titfor seeming the strongest and most robust. I have a lugall which is so quick and easy to set up it's great. No match for the tirfor in terms of pulling power or robustness but still a great but of kit! I bought the 1ton one first but the cable on it's is really short so I got the 1.4ton as well. It's only a little more expensive but the cable is almost twice the length.

I have used cheaper small winches I am not sure what brand but tbh they where just like glorified ratchet straps and not very good.

I have been looking at monkey winches because they look the business for heavy lifting! I am not sure how they comply with modern h&s as the overload protection is no more than 3 men on the handle! Apparently can pull 10ton so probably good for stump removal etc

I have a Trewhella Monkey Winch. Picked it up for 50 quid last year and it was delivered to the workshop and stuck near the door. It hasnt moved since apart from the time my mate came over to look at it and we unwound the cable and the wound it back up. I'm too scared to take it out in case I have to leave it behind as I cant get it into the van on my own.

I bought a winch from Safety Lifting Gear a few months ago and its brilliant. Fairly moved a 10' stump of syc np problem. I also got a smaller second hand Tirfor on ebay for 40 quid. I'm not happy with the cable so I will buy a new one for it.