Yew timber

jjll

Hi,

I have a stick of yew which has been cut for about a year. I intend to mill it up with an Alaskan which I recently bought. I don't know anything about milling, apart from the few attempts I've had on smaller stuff.

What is the best was to process this timber?

How long should it be left before making things with it?

Is there anything I should, or should have already done to the timber?

Is there a general thickness of planks that would make it more useable?

Any other tips would be appreciated

Cheers

I would wear a dust mask and some eye protection as most parts of the tree are poisonous. At best an irritant but some people suffer more than others with rashes and sore eyes.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

http://www.getwoodworking.com/forums/postings.asp?th=2378

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis30.pdf

Edited by Billhook
A bit more information from links

inch, inch and half, and two and half, this will allow for some planing to finished size, and also re-saw if requried, mill it, stack it, and strap it under cover, but with good through ventilation

They're good sizes but I would reduce the 2.5" to 2.25, there's no need to plane off .5" to get a 2"board

You haven't said how big it is.

For the furniture to look in proportion the thickness and area should tie up. Rob D has posted a very good 'how to' for picnic benches made from 3" slabs but if it's smaller then scaling down to 2" will look better.

You say it's for outdoor use. Be aware that a lot of the attraction of yew is the colour and the contrast between sapwood and heartwood, but the colour will quickly go and the sapwood isn't durable, so indoor furniture is a better bet if these matter.

Alec

Thanks for the replies.

I didnt make may last post that clear.

What I meant was, it will stand outside, covered or whatever is best in planks until it's used.

The product itself isn't necessarily going to be outdoor furniture.

Because of the colour, I like the idea of making a table top for indoors

Hi, there is nothing more satisfying than cutting ones own timber and getting something of use from it. Ive been milling, and now turning for just over a year now. I would suggest taking the best three or four slabs out of the middle, these will be quarter sawn at this point, and the top and bottom slices left thick these make ideal bowl blanks, or flip them over and you have the top of a bench. This for me makes the most of the timber, and iof the top and bottom become bowls that sentimental value can be shared with family and friends.