Stihl - Crazy UK pricing

gfro84

Alot depends on the exchange rate.

In 2009 the pound hit parity with the euro making my euros go very much farther when buying kit in the U.K.

The difference between a CS100 wee chipper and it's French branded sibling was a couple of thousand euros, same with Ifor Williams trailers which I used to import on a regular basis to re-sell here as there could be 2500euros difference between the euro and sterling price.

Today, the Pound has risen to 1.36 against the euro which means that that dreadful Husky tophandle for instance only cost us 423euros plus vat here against 482 sterling in the U.K.

I still buy from the U.K as many things even with the postage added are still a marginally better deal than France as many French dealers don't offer a decent discount.

Ty

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot depends on the exchange rate.

Today, the Pound has risen to 1.36 against the euro which means that that dreadful Husky tophandle for instance only cost us 423euros plus vat here against 482 sterling in the U.K.

I still buy from the U.K as many things even with the postage added are still a marginally better deal than France as many French dealers don't offer a decent discount.

Ty

Moved some money around recently when the rate hit 1.4 :thumbup1:

does the old trick of writing 'happy birthday' on the packaging still avoid some import duty? as gifts are exempt. or is that an old wives tale?

Many of the 'homeowner' saws sold in the US are made by Stihl USA. No duties, and only state and local taxes, which are 1/4-1/2 what they are in the UK. Oregon has no sales tax, and Alaska's amounts to an average of 1.6% sales tax. 3 other states have no sales tax, as well. When the 440 was still sold, a coworker of mine got one in Washington State for the equivalent of less than 500stg at the time out the door.

Edited by wyk

Lot more trees in Canada and the USA compared to the UK. So i imagine its volume sales.

So are you saying because Canada, USA and Australia etc sell more saws than Stihl UK they should charge more and expect similar profits to other countrys? That ridiculous! Imo if the market is smaller in any profession you should expect less profit/ turnover.

So are you saying because Canada, USA and Australia etc sell more saws than Stihl UK they should charge more and expect similar profits to other countrys? That ridiculous! Imo if the market is smaller in any profession you should expect less profit/ turnover.

I thought he was saying coz they sell more they are cheaper ...or did I read it wrong ?

To be honest I don't think that's typical of the price difference. I've spent 3 of my last 4 summers in Canada and I'm always looking for a bargain to bring home. In 2010 I was looking at home owner grade stihls and it was pretty much on par with uk. Exchange rate was worse then though. I've tried on all types of products that I've wanted at the time clothing electronics tools and if the exchange rate is good it might save 10-20%.

Normally the best deal for me has been to buy off uk Amazon then claim back the VAT as forces serving overseas.

America is a different story though

I'm in Australia, and we get gouged on chainsaws and other tree equipment, too. I bought my last Husqarna 540t from the US for a 30% discount over buying here in Australia.

Husqvarna dealers can sell online, while Stihl dealers can only sell over the counter. If you go to Husky (better antivibe, for another thing), you can buy in the US and use a mail forwarder to send it over. I don't know about UK duties, though.

I'm looking at buying another saw soon, and asked about it on a US arboriculture forum last night. Last time I just bought off ebay, so I asked if there was anyone better and was referred to Treestuff. Google it. You can get a 10% discount if you are in the ISA, or a 7% discount with a coupon. Let me know if you want it and I'll look it up for you.