not happy with finished job

testcricket01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the job was to reduce the crown by nearly 50% if i remember right so it was ment to be rounded but they tell me what to do and i cant disagree they pay me at end of day i just wanted know what other people thought about this subject thats all

TBH i would not considder reducing a tree by anywhere near 50% to start off with unless there was a mojor issue and if it was that serious i would be cautious about leaving the tree standing . Secondly if your working for a company that feel half finnished reductions or even maybe half thinned or half crown lifting trees is acceptable i would question subbing to them ! verry few people remember decent tree surgeons carrying out work to a high standard but lots of people remember a p**s poor quality or half finnished job by a company that wanna make money at any cost, we are meant to be tree care experts not oppertunist tree cutters .

not having a go at you in any way mate as i had a similar decision to make a few months ago . but i can also see that at the moment jobs are hard to come by so can imagine its a tough call :confused1:

yes ,thats what its all about for me any how....with out trying to big my climbing up i can pretty much get what i want done and the desired shape i want with out any one from the ground giving there input and probably a lot faster with out it as well,in my experience it never works any how as they are looking at the tree froma completly different perspective than you ,i find the best thing is pick and follow your own line and do what you do and before taking the anchore point out ask if any thing sticks out or looks wrong....if they say no and you get out the tree and it does give the groundy a clip around the ear and make him go up or try and go up and sort the offending branch out!

What he said !

... verry few people remember decent tree surgeons carrying out work to a high standard but lots of people remember a p**s poor quality or half finnished job by a company that wanna make money at any cost, we are meant to be tree care experts not oppertunist tree cutters .

That's the problem most clients don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job, that knowledge comes down to you.

Most will judge a good job from a bad job by how tidy there garden is at the end and how much you've taken off !

I will 3rd what matty F and buzz have said i do a fare bit of freelance climbing i normaly just do what i want. If they are not happy with what you have done dont do any more work for them.

That's the problem most clients don't know the difference between a good job and a bad job, that knowledge comes down to you.

Most will judge a good job from a bad job by how tidy there garden is at the end and how much you've taken off !

that is bit weird i had typed nearly to the word what you wrote but deleated it.

Edited by Tree cutter Stu

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Is it going to make that much difference to the tree that it looks 'tidy' after that sort of a reduction? Growth looks quite thick up there anyway as if from an old pollard or lop job.... Really hard to get those looking natural anyway as there are no nice reduction points on the newer growth.

If they're happy, the customer is happy and they've paid you then all is well - it's nice to be able to do exactly what we feel is right for a tree etc etc and we can always give an opinion but after that just get on with the job IMO.

things like this reduction last year to me this isnt a good or finished job but customer was happy company who got this job told me where cut it said it was finished and to come down and they were happy with it

Well- contrary to other remarks on here-I'm glad this guy has said this. I hate reducing trees to others peoples spec' -they always look ****-I'm always unhappy with my work and they never listen to why I would not cut the tree like that ( reactive growth / disease inclusion ect) I can't believe the number of jobs I have done fr arb companies an been told ' ooooh thats not right- take more off - dont cut like that - leave an open center ' and such - Absolute rubbish. You are right to feel bad about this mate an frankly -trees should not be reduced ad-hoc. There must be a sound -long term reason for the work - not just 'oohhhh it's a bit too big -don't you think ?' More trees are ruined this way than anything else.

K

Well- contrary to other remarks on here-I'm glad this guy has said this. I hate reducing trees to others peoples spec' -they always look ****-I'm always unhappy with my work and they never listen to why I would not cut the tree like that ( reactive growth / disease inclusion ect) I can't believe the number of jobs I have done fr arb companies an been told ' ooooh thats not right- take more off - dont cut like that - leave an open center ' and such - Absolute rubbish. You are right to feel bad about this mate an frankly -trees should not be reduced ad-hoc. There must be a sound -long term reason for the work - not just 'oohhhh it's a bit too big -don't you think ?' More trees are ruined this way than anything else.

K

Thing is though what else can be done apart from felling and replanting?

Reductions are a necessary evil sometimes.

but the point is that this guy is subbing to another company so i would expect them to know a good job from a bad job and what is right and wrong , i agree that the general public assume that we are the one with knowledge but not evy tree surgeon (using the term tree surgeon loosely) knows much about trees other than that you can make money from cutting them and making nice loking lollypop type shapes with them

the point i was making in my origional post was that this guy is working for another company and does not feel the work that they are asking him to do is acceptable !!!

even maybe half thinned or half crown lifting trees is acceptable ................................................... we are meant to be tree care experts not oppertunist tree cutters .

I often half crown lift trees over paths or roads, you can half thin a tree to allow more light.

From the trees point of view the less removed the better.