Dirty diesels contributing to air pollution

SteveA

Im yet to be educated on all this, but heres my ignorant theory.

Modern diesels with egrs, if the egr system is faulty or the vehicle is doing short runs, this can cause the engine to foul up. Happened my landcruiser. Resulted in lots of smoke and engine with a chest infection (stick with me here).

I blanked off the egr having looked at it, and its a simple job on the landcruiser (just at the side of the block). Within mins, the engine started to run smoother, and with less emmisions and smoke.

Now Im not saying we should all be blanking off these egr units; but when they are faulty, they can cause more harm than a vehicle without one.

I dont know if petrol is any better?

Personally, I think we should be using hybrids, and that might be utilsing a diesel engine? But a hydrogen unit would be ideal- if we could make hydrogen?

Or go back to gasification? Be handy for our business??

Blanking off egr's is now very common practice but not without its pitfalls - can cause turbo problems on some engines as like here: fast forward to 2 mins in particular:

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving at a steady 80mph ( I will go to prison I know ! ) and as following a diesel Mondeo and every 30 meters or so it would belch out a cloud of smoke for a few seconds then clear then do it againg and so on . Could this be a malfunctioning EGR valve , opening and shutting all the time ?

Blanking off egr's is now very common practice but not without its pitfalls - can cause turbo problems on some engines as like here: fast forward to 2 mins in particular:

Some engines use a cooler in the egr circuit so the hot gases do not lower the engine performance by introducing hot gases. Some engines also rely on this cooler to lower cylinder temps period so if you take the egr circuit you run the risk of engine damage. This tends to only be on later over blown high out put small engines.

Some engines use a cooler in the egr circuit so the hot gases do not lower the engine performance by introducing hot gases. Some engines also rely on this cooler to lower cylinder temps period so if you take the egr circuit you run the risk of engine damage. This tends to only be on later over blown high out put small engines.

Tell me about it; had a Saab 3.0 Tid with water cooled egr; what a complicated system.

Overblown - good way of putting it; higher and higher bmep's with narrower oil galleries needing thinner oils. And people wonder why I like old cars!

a good turbo will be water cooled anyway, and re-introducing waste gas back into the inlet tract is done for only one reason...get the emissions down, pre euro regulations, diesels used to regulary get crazy millages with no problems, once the "boffins" started screwing around with fuelling and all the other crap they've done modern diesels arent any better than the petrol engines, all the crap the idiots try preaching about emissions affecting the atmosphere, just think on the facts, every time a volcano erupts, it produces more co2, methane nox, and all the other so called bad gasses, in 30 seconds , than man has produced since he first walked on the planet. and how many eruptions take place every day

a good turbo will be water cooled anyway, and re-introducing waste gas back into the inlet tract is done for only one reason...get the emissions down, pre euro regulations, diesels used to regulary get crazy millages with no problems, once the "boffins" started screwing around with fuelling and all the other crap they've done modern diesels arent any better than the petrol engines, all the crap the idiots try preaching about emissions affecting the atmosphere, just think on the facts, every time a volcano erupts, it produces more co2, methane nox, and all the other so called bad gasses, in 30 seconds , than man has produced since he first walked on the planet. and how many eruptions take place every day

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Zactly :biggrin:

Not sure about DPF but I did read somewhere that in the production of CATs more polutents are releiced into the atmosphere than they stop when in use .

Also a DPF needs to be " regenarated " after a certain time in use and this is done by burning all the crud out that has accumulated over time . Where does all this go ...into the atmosphere .......:001_smile:

Edited by Stubby

Have you a cite for that?

A 2007 report by the Hawaiian volcano center suggests otherwise:

" Gas studies at volcanoes worldwide have helped volcanologists tally up a global volcanic CO2 budget in the same way that nations around the globe have cooperated to determine how much CO2 is released by human activity through the burning of fossil fuels. Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2 annually.

This seems like a huge amount of CO2, but a visit to the U.S. Department of Energy's Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) website (Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC)) helps anyone armed with a handheld calculator and a high school chemistry text put the volcanic CO2 tally into perspective. Because while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value. "

a good turbo will be water cooled anyway, and re-introducing waste gas back into the inlet tract is done for only one reason...get the emissions down, pre euro regulations, diesels used to regulary get crazy millages with no problems, once the "boffins" started screwing around with fuelling and all the other crap they've done modern diesels arent any better than the petrol engines, all the crap the idiots try preaching about emissions affecting the atmosphere, just think on the facts, every time a volcano erupts, it produces more co2, methane nox, and all the other so called bad gasses, in 30 seconds , than man has produced since he first walked on the planet. and how many eruptions take place every day[/quote

A non water-cooled turbo isn't a bad turbo... I don't know of any straight turbo's with less durability than non operated by racers; all water cooling does is remedy a tiny proportion of the heat soak after rapid shut down which is bad practice anyway. The theory it helps cool the charge is not borne out in practice. Lubrication is far more significant than water plumbing. An old saying is " Turbo's don't die, they are killed".

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor