loller and timber crane

agrimog

I am in a bit of a quandry , timber grabs and loller checks, how does it stand, I know my atlas on the mog needs an annual check, but I cant find details anywhere about timber grabs, the same as mounted on my timber trailer. H&S documentation on the web is really vague, it says forestry equiment has to be, but then no details about what, or how, anybody out there got any information about this

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi just sorted all this my self before christmas,there are one or two grey areas on this subject,but just used our tractor and forwarding trailer for a nptc FMOC accessment and all requirments met,firstly are you using a tractor and forwarding trailer ? if so (1) does the tractor have a ROPS cab roll over protction system, if yes all is good (2) where is the crane and grab controlled from ? if it is from the cab and the oporater does not need to get out, thats good as well, there for you would NOT need a loller certificate, if you was stood next to the trailer or sat on a high seat on the trailer oporating the crane then you would need a loller certificate,i got quoted £300 + VAT for a 1hr inspection and that was every 6 monthes, it cost me £185 to make 16 28" extension pipes up and hang the spool valve on the back of the cab its a no brainer,and one less thing to worrie about,i hope this helps you solve your problem, it is on the HSE website and is explained very clearly about loller certs and forestry machines.

thank you spuddog, that clears up a lot, and really throws a spanner in the works, most of the time its of the back of an alpine tractor, and the valve block clips onto the rops frame, so no loler needed, the other times its hooked on the mog, and that meamns it needs a loler ticket. do you have a refrence off the H&S site at all