Fings wot broke

aspenarb

1 hour ago, woody paul said:

Knowing how a machine runs and works is key in this business, if it brakes down you need it fix for the next day or on that day to finish job. Only the other day switch packed up on eclectic supply to 6 way valve to work grab and rotator on little loader. So I pulled wires from work light on boom and wire 6 way valve to it and used light switch instead.   

I Like that! Sometimes you've to be crafty to get through the day :D

Few times lads working for me shrug shoulders.... machine not working yet not checked owt over. 

Loose battery terminal on the teleporter other week. Easy stuff and I was away in seconds. The lads would be there thumb up arses waiting for someone to come fix it 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, swinny said:

I Like that! Sometimes you've to be crafty to get through the day :D

Few times lads working for me shrug shoulders.... machine not working yet not checked owt over. 

Loose battery terminal on the teleporter other week. Easy stuff and I was away in seconds. The lads would be there thumb up arses waiting for someone to come fix it 

That’s often better than ‘we tried to fix it’. Nothing more dangerous than someone who thinks they know but are still as thick as shit. 

Larger firms that run machinery have dedicated mechanics for a reason. 

It’s hard for folk like you and me who just look at it and have it fixed in a jiffy to realise that common sense and mechanical understanding really isn’t common any more. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Lower feed roller bearing came off.

Welded it back on.

20240506_124313.jpg

I know it's a pretty gapping repair since the studs fell out.

However I have planned alot of work on the chipper,alas the Norwegian Jensen dealer doesn't give a toss  about replying to emails it seems.

• 1 month later...

What a week all fairly mild in fairness.

Got to site machine wouldn't start to get it off the trailer... found a broken green corroded wire. Quick bodge for the day and back at it. 

Nearly bogged machine down, got out of situation to find track had come off idler, no grease gun or jack etc on site! Managed to rough arse it back on with a ratchet strap and a pick axe we found on site. 

Yesterday the chipper cut out on us... ALT on the screen.... quick look shredded alternator belt. Middle of a field 😂 Jase at greenmech tech sorted me some numbers out to get one sorted. Always snaps or rubs where the numbers are!  Managed to go get one from gsf in local town thankfully and back at it!

Makes me wonder how the hell folk get on who have to wait for someone to come out when machines break down etc must waste full days at times 

20240607_122156.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swinny said:

What a week all fairly mild in fairness.

Got to site machine wouldn't start to get it off the trailer... found a broken green corroded wire. Quick bodge for the day and back at it. 

Nearly bogged machine down, got out of situation to find track had come off idler, no grease gun or jack etc on site! Managed to rough arse it back on with a ratchet strap and a pick axe we found on site. 

Yesterday the chipper cut out on us... ALT on the screen.... quick look shredded alternator belt. Middle of a field 😂 Jase at greenmech tech sorted me some numbers out to get one sorted. Always snaps or rubs where the numbers are!  Managed to go get one from gsf in local town thankfully and back at it!

Makes me wonder how the hell folk get on who have to wait for someone to come out when machines break down etc must waste full days at times 

20240607_122156.jpg

I think if you run kit you have to end up being handy on the spanners. Id never be able to afford to get someone out to do everything.

Last year I bought a swage machine and loads of hydraulic pipes and fittings so now we do all our own pipes, the time saving is massive. 

• Like 3

Some understanding of how it works certainly helps.

I have worked with professional tree workers for whom a chipper is just a magic box where wood goes in, chip comes out.

What happens in between is of zero interest.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, John Shutler said:

I think if you run kit you have to end up being handy on the spanners. Id never be able to afford to get someone out to do everything.

Last year I bought a swage machine and loads of hydraulic pipes and fittings so now we do all our own pipes, the time saving is massive. 

Have you yet had to get a hose made by a third party as the required fitting wasn’t in your arsenal? I’ve contemplated getting a swager loads of times but keep blowing unusual hoses which then puts me off again!

12 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Have you yet had to get a hose made by a third party as the required fitting wasn’t in your arsenal? I’ve contemplated getting a swager loads of times but keep blowing unusual hoses which then puts me off again!

kinda, the local tractor fitters (20 mins away) have got quite a comprehensive range of stuff so occasionally il pop down and get an odd fitting to make up a hose if i haven’t got one in stock and usually get half a dozen so i’ve got them if it goes again in the future.

i’ve resorted to cutting fittings out of old hoses to get myself out of the shit as well but it’s a pain to do and a don’t like doing it.

obviously you’ve got to outlay on the machine  and all the hose and fittings but once your up and running the cost of making a hose with two fittings and 1m long comes in at about £7.50

• Like 5

20 hours ago, John Shutler said:

kinda, the local tractor fitters (20 mins away) have got quite a comprehensive range of stuff so occasionally il pop down and get an odd fitting to make up a hose if i haven’t got one in stock and usually get half a dozen so i’ve got them if it goes again in the future.

i’ve resorted to cutting fittings out of old hoses to get myself out of the shit as well but it’s a pain to do and a don’t like doing it.

obviously you’ve got to outlay on the machine  and all the hose and fittings but once your up and running the cost of making a hose with two fittings and 1m long comes in at about £7.50

Have you tried the reusable furrels? You can screw the end BSP/JIC coupler in the end. A bit bulky but I use to use them on grapple hoses. For when I knocked them on the bolster pins.

On 08/06/2024 at 16:30, John Shutler said:

Touch wood I haven't really buggered too many hoses. Usually get shafted at the local ag place for that. 

I see what your saying though. Can do them of an evening ready to go next day rather than rock up at 8am... wait for ages and come out with a pipe at 8:30-45 to then have to fix and or get to site.... 

Times money and prefer repairs in house 👍  bout 2.5k for the machine isn't it then hoses and things on top