Opinion on this trailer?

Big J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother has a Lehwald steering drawbar trailer, its huge, the build quality and design are very good IME.

Funny thing is that Lehwald Marl don't do drawbar trailers anymore. I looked on their website last September and they were there, and then a few weeks ago they were not.

Anyways, I think it's worth spending the extra 200 euros for 29cm extra width. I can't bloody see the 5ft 6" wide Ifor when I'm towing it with the van.

So this model looks like the goer:

http://www.aluliner.com/Hochlader-offener-Kasten/Anhaenger-Unsinn-HL264321-Hochlader-ArtNr-WEB28::1298.html

Scrolling through the photos, the build quality looks fantastic.

I am not seeing anything in the pics to tempt me away from ifor. The 1 piece sides will have a lot less strength than two or three sides. Also a real handful to take on and off.

The ifors are crude dated and badly finished and some conponents have obviously been sourced from prc. But they are over made with good thick deep formed chassis members so if you do accidentally overload it will forgive you. I bought a 3500kg Brian James 16 ft an easier trailer to live lower to the ground which is brill if climbing on and off all day better finished and thought out but it has no where near the strength of the old ifor. So ok if you stay well within the load limits better c of g and nice tie down points 3 sides makes easier fitting.

Interesting diffent opinions! The Unsinn trailers are apparently well regarded in Germany, used by people in the construction industry routinely. They must be up to scratch, as the Germans don't tolerate poor quality machinery.

I'm happy to take the risk, and I'll be ordering it tomorrow.

I like my Brenderup (2000kg 4260 twin axle), we got it with a curtainside canopy and it's a really versatile thing. 10 mins from flatbed to dry and clean transport.

It wouldn't take the thumping and scraping that a heavy duty Ifor would, but then it doesn't clang down the road like a massive thumpy slab of clattery concrete like an Ifor either.

Brenderup is miles better quality than the lightweight Ifors. I helped a guy load some 8x4 sheets of ply into an 8x4 Ifor at a sale recently. The base of the Ifor is an 8x4 sheet, then the sides sit on top of that. great :001_cool::001_huh:

Pics are moving two Danckaert joinery machines, an overhead router (local job) and a big multirip from darkest Lancs.

W

P2240404.jpg.939bc0588b45e4bdc504ddd5e8524b4c.jpg

P1190360.jpg.ecd82818dbe474cdab3d60855adbe90b.jpg

I drooled over Benderup a few years ago, they appeared to be really well thought out, designed, constructed and finished.

Re the Unsinn featured, I cannot warm to the pressed steel hitchs, though obviously significently lighter than a cast hitch.

I do however like the aluminium plank sides.

m

Horses for courses.

I've not heard of the German makes and they do look very nice.

We've got a 7+ year old Ifor that has had a very tough life and is running very well with one major overhaul. It'll take virtually anything you can load onto it, albeit driving slowly for some loads, and will happily cruise well above 100kp/h.

Just ordered another, slightly larger, one uprated to 3.5t for the Avant.

I've found, it doesn't matter what I buy, there'll always be something better and/or cheaper available as soon as I've organised payment or taken delivery.

So long as the bit of kit, be it a watch, a knife, a chipper or truck, does the job and doesn't break on first use it'll be ok.

If you can get a good deal for your Ifor and getting the larger German one is cost neutral/positive, fantastic.

I like my Brenderup (2000kg 4260 twin axle), we got it with a curtainside canopy and it's a really versatile thing. 10 mins from flatbed to dry and clean transport.

It wouldn't take the thumping and scraping that a heavy duty Ifor would, but then it doesn't clang down the road like a massive thumpy slab of clattery concrete like an Ifor either.

Brenderup is miles better quality than the lightweight Ifors. I helped a guy load some 8x4 sheets of ply into an 8x4 Ifor at a sale recently. The base of the Ifor is an 8x4 sheet, then the sides sit on top of that. great :001_cool::001_huh:

Pics are moving two Danckaert joinery machines, an overhead router (local job) and a big multirip from darkest Lancs.

W

Brenderup are a good trailer. Look at the strong a frame on your small trailer compared with the earlier German trailer. Well made finished and thought out normally.

I sold an older Brenderup on ebay for a mate a couple of years ago. It had sat outdoors under a tarp and untouched for several years: a hose down and a light scrub with a stiff broom and it looked like it was 2 years old! I remember that it was really well thought out in terms of lashing points, catches, hinges etc.

The plate had corroded, not the trailer, so I e-mailed Brenderup in Denmark with the chassis number asking them what the mgw was. 10 minutes later they'd replied with the answer, the trailer model and the dealership to whom it was sold new 14 years beforehand!