• UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the arbtalk poll results are reflected across the country then we are in for a serious lurch to the right!

although, its true a vote for ukip is a vote for miliband.

Whatever your politics I have to say that I think the state of democracy in our country is very poor. We should all be free to vote as we wish ,safe in the knoweldge that our views will be adequately represented. Nobody should feel that they need to vote tactically. Although I fundamentally disagree with UKIP I do think its wrong that 14% of the population will be represented by what, one MP? Tory and Labour voters, at around 35% of the vote each will end up with somewhere in the region of 275 MP's apiece. It isn't working is it? :thumbdown:

When I cast my vote earlier today I was presented with an additional ballot paper for the local council election. The choice? Tory A, Tory B or a ukipper. That there no representtives from the other parties is a disgrace, in my opinion. :thumbdown: I've also had only one flyer through the door, from the Tories. It seems that there is no interest in engaging in a public debate in this region and only a minor effort from the Tories to consolidate their huge majority. :thumbdown:

Whatever happens I suspect that this will be the end of the first past the post system.

And possibly we will see the introduction of a proper english parliament.

Should the tories win, areas like scotland and wales will again claim that they didn't get what they voted for, and should labour/SNP win english voters will feel like they are being run by a tiny minority. None of this will be good for the country and lead to yet more bitterness and resentment.

Its sad really.

The problem is, far more people will vote UKIP than vote SNP, yet the SNP may well get 50 seats and UKIP only 2 or 3. People will be really unhappy with this, justifiably I might add, large numbers will vote green and yet they too will end up with hardly anything.

Its probably time to reform the voting system, probably to something like the AV Holyrood system, with constituency and list MP's. We also need to sort out the boundaries as currently some constituencies have way more voters in them than others...