My first employee - working hours

Davescay

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So he's an apprentice and you don't want to pay him for 1 hr 40 mins of breaks, saving yourself thruppence ha'penny if he's on minimum wage?

If your margins are so tight that you need to consider this then perhaps you can't afford an apprentice.

I allow as part of my working day for my employees 8-5 that it yard to leaving half an hour for lunch paid, and regular breaks through out the day maybe works out at 10 mins every 2 hours drink etc quick snack, that sort of thing. they are paid for it all 9 hours a day. Im in land management as opposed to arb however both are physically demanding, when to comply with health and safety and employment law you have to allow break i think making them take a break then not paying them for it would lead to people working through breaks leading to burn out.

I'm a freelancer now but when I was on the books at my last place we worked from 7.30-5 Monday to fri and got 30 mins unpaid break a day which totalled 45 hour week. In reality we'd take more breaks than the 30 mins. 10 mins here, 15 there etc. as long as the jobs get done in my opinion someone can take as many breaks as they need...as long as they're not taking the p.

'Many of the special protections in these regulations for young workers under 18 will apply to apprentices, for example young workers must not exceed the 8 hour a day or 40 hours per week. They are also entitled to paid holidays and rest breaks of at least 30 minutes if their shift lasts more than four and half hours' taken from an apprenticeship site' That reads as paid breaks of at least 30 mins for over four and a half hours work.

All relevant, It does vary on age. I pay my employee on an hourly rate. I pay him from start to finish, occasionally I'll knock a break off if he leaves site to go and do something (kids from school, go to the bank, etc), but apart from that, he gets paid the same if he's grafting or sipping tea with Mrs Stetson-Smythe while I do all the hard work up the tree.

An important thing to consider is the working relationship you wish to create. If you clock watch, and are on the case, then it won't be as good as if you all dig in and get the job done. If you finish a job quicker than you priced, pay a few hours you'd priced into the job as a bonus. If you've got some fiddly jobs that are not full days, have some shitty jobs (a pile of logs to cut/split) lined up to still pay the full day (if he wants to fill in the hours, always worth asking if you don't need it done), if you run over, he won't mind working late to get the job done. I find banter to be a more effective tool for motivating people than watching the clock. If you can create a good fun atmosphere in a team that pulls it's weight, then you're onto a winner. You'll all enjoy it more, and you'll get more done.

As for breaks. Encourage them. Otherwise fatigue can make this game a dangerous place for apprentices.

My guys start at 7-7.30 finish between 4.30-6.30 depending what is on or where they are working. I allow 1 hour break throughout the day I pay half and half is theirs. If they choose to only take half an hour they get paid for all the hours they are at work.

For me personally I have never understood anyone taking an hour at lunch or even as much as a half, I get bored and itchy to do something, maybe because it is my business and not theirs.

I have subcontractors work for me and we work on a job and knock basis as day rates are used in this case. Guys on hourly rates on these jobs will happily work through so they quite often get an extra £20-30/ pint at the pub at the end of the day.

Little bits like this I think make staff feel appreciated and you hope this will equate to loyal, happy hard working staff, hard to find at the moment.

Thanks for the replies.

Its not a money thing. More of a contract of employment thing. In the past i've not been paid for breaks and been expected to take an hour a day.

I think i will base the week on a 45 hour week. Breaks included, 8-5 mon-fri. Early finishes where we can.

Just most people seem to think full time is 37.5 hours.