My first employee - working hours

Davescay

I'd love to find an employee who doesn't think it's their right to smoke/txt drink red bull etc on my time, or think it's the bosses right to get the drinks and bacon sarnies in all the time. For me I will never employ again. self Employed workers know what it's about and get on with it, they look after kit because it's their own. Iv had one lad say he doesn't see why he has to look after the kit because it's not his own. This is not true of all employees I know so I am sorry to tag you all with the same mark but it's from my experience. The better you treat people the more they shin on you:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

All relevant, It does vary on age. I pay my employee on an hourly rate. I pay him from start to finish, occasionally I'll knock a break off if he leaves site to go and do something (kids from school, go to the bank, etc), but apart from that, he gets paid the same if he's grafting or sipping tea with Mrs Stetson-Smythe while I do all the hard work up the tree.

An important thing to consider is the working relationship you wish to create. If you clock watch, and are on the case, then it won't be as good as if you all dig in and get the job done. If you finish a job quicker than you priced, pay a few hours you'd priced into the job as a bonus. If you've got some fiddly jobs that are not full days, have some shitty jobs (a pile of logs to cut/split) lined up to still pay the full day (if he wants to fill in the hours, always worth asking if you don't need it done), if you run over, he won't mind working late to get the job done. I find banter to be a more effective tool for motivating people than watching the clock. If you can create a good fun atmosphere in a team that pulls it's weight, then you're onto a winner. You'll all enjoy it more, and you'll get more done.

As for breaks. Encourage them. Otherwise fatigue can make this game a dangerous place for apprentices.

Couldn't agree more :)

My guys start at 7-7.30 finish between 4.30-6.30 depending what is on or where they are working. I allow 1 hour break throughout the day I pay half and half is theirs. If they choose to only take half an hour they get paid for all the hours they are at work.

For me personally I have never understood anyone taking an hour at lunch or even as much as a half, I get bored and itchy to do something, maybe because it is my business and not theirs.

I have subcontractors work for me and we work on a job and knock basis as day rates are used in this case. Guys on hourly rates on these jobs will happily work through so they quite often get an extra £20-30/ pint at the pub at the end of the day.

Little bits like this I think make staff feel appreciated and you hope this will equate to loyal, happy hard working staff, hard to find at the moment.

If carlsberg made employees....;)

I'd love to find an employee who doesn't think it's their right to smoke/txt drink red bull etc on my time, or think it's the bosses right to get the drinks and bacon sarnies in all the time. For me I will never employ again. self Employed workers know what it's about and get on with it, they look after kit because it's their own. Iv had one lad say he doesn't see why he has to look after the kit because it's not his own. This is not true of all employees I know so I am sorry to tag you all with the same mark but it's from my experience. The better you treat people the more they shin on you:)

You can only speak from your experience Hodge and broadly speaking I think you're right.

20 years ago when I first started out in this game I worked for a firm that would drive in to London every day from the Home Counties.

The people I worked with would steal petrol, smoke dope, knock out private work and take every liberty they could. I tried hard to get on with it as I wanted to learn but was swimming against the tide.

On the other hand we were give jobs well beyond our abilities and experience.

In hindsight the firm was dysfunctional.

You can only speak from your experience Hodge and broadly speaking I think you're right.

20 years ago when I first started out in this game I worked for a firm that would drive in to London every day from the Home Counties.

The people I worked with would steal petrol, smoke dope, knock out private work and take every liberty they could. I tried hard to get on with it as I wanted to learn but was swimming against the tide.

It was like that when I worked for the council, the stealing was phenomenal, I would hate to think of an employee of mine taking the pee with me. I know not all employees are like that but it does make you wary.

The people I worked with would steal petrol, smoke dope, knock out private work and take every liberty they could.

Sounds like Connick tree care when i was there in 2000