What coffee do you like and why thanks

mendiplogs

You guys go steady running those power guzzling pro coffee machines! Think of the environment!! Do we grow coffee beans in UK or import it via huge oil burning ships? I heard a rumour that coffee is grown in areas that used to be primary jungle? Surely not??? Oh and coffee is roasted using carbon neutral biofuel?? My firkin arse it is!!

Commando.....Stow........soapbox!! Ha ha

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys go steady running those power guzzling pro coffee machines! Think of the environment!! Do we grow coffee beans in UK or import it via huge oil burning ships? I heard a rumour that coffee is grown in areas that used to be primary jungle? Surely not??? Oh and coffee is roasted using carbon neutral biofuel?? My firkin arse it is!!

Commando.....Stow........soapbox!! Ha ha

I think Commando may have spent the evening sampling everyone's favourites😊

We went decaff after Mrs Bobbins had irregular heartbeat / palpitations, suspected as a result of coffee drinking. So sadly it's Sainsbury's decaff.

Donkey's years ago I lived in France for a year whilst working as a student; we made filter coffee in the lab I worked in. One heaped dessert spoon of ground coffee per cup of water; by cup I mean about 1/3 of the way up a small plastic disposable cup. My French colleagues used to reckon it wasn't strong enough if when held up in a see-through cup, you could see anything at all through the liquid.

I can't remember too much about the coffee, must have been the crates of 33 Export that we got through as well, but I do miss going to work with a view of the Mediterranean then sloping off to the beach at the end of the day for a swim!

It does take a few minutes for the light to go out, and then I tend to run the hot water through the "doofer" one puts the grounds it, and wash and rinse it out a couple of times.

Anyway since the 2 mugs of milk take 7 minutes to heat, while I feed the dogs etc.

Is no odds.

I attempted to buy the very last of a better French brand, who had discontinued their very good domestic model to focus production on their professional/commercial range from the NZ based worldwide distributor (and scratchs head there)

But just failed and thereby saved myself £1,000.00 odd

Which for 2 mugs of coffee a day ud ave bin a trifle extreme, I admit.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info. You have confirmed what I was told by the dealer that imports the machine. I was tempted to buy one with a decent grinder. I have killed 3 gaggias in 15 years and recently stripped the boiler what I found was a bit grim and now always flush the boiler before making coffee. I think by flushing the rancillio you speed up the warm up process ? Making proper coffee is a right faff but I combine it with loading the dish washer and cleaning the kitchen. I went on holiday for a week and never had coffee but had head aches when I returned to uk I was about to be taken to hospital with suspected brain tumour when the doctor sussed out it was coffee withdrawal :001_smile:a bucket off expresso and I was as right as rain.

My reason for even considering spending the considerable amount of money on the professional grade machine was simply that it was plumbed into the mains water, so always fresh water esp. if an in-line "Brita" type filter installed..

The Rancillio uses a tupperware type lift out resovoir, that when I occassionally remove to clean, is proper disgusting, visually leastwise (we live in a soft water/peaty water area, and despite the filteration and treatment a residue comes through)

Also run a Rancillio grinder, neither machine has given any trouble in about 10 years, prior to this we went through a number of cheapo espresso machines.

And yes, the flushing of the machine with the fresh hot water helps to heat it up.

PS

Ran a batch of Marks and Spencer coffee through just recently, only this morning back to Sainsburys, might have to consider sticking with M& S brand, despite the considerable extra cost.

There was a clear difference.

Bugger!

My reason for even considering spending the considerable amount of money on the professional grade machine was simply that it was plumbed into the mains water, so always fresh water esp. if an in-line "Brita" type filter installed..

The Rancillio uses a tupperware type lift out resovoir, that when I occassionally remove to clean, is proper disgusting, visually leastwise (we live in a soft water/peaty water area, and despite the filteration and treatment a residue comes through)

Also run a Rancillio grinder, neither machine has given any trouble in about 10 years, prior to this we went through a number of cheapo espresso machines.

And yes, the flushing of the machine with the fresh hot water helps to heat it up.

PS

Ran a batch of Marks and Spencer coffee through just recently, only this morning back to Sainsburys, might have to consider sticking with M& S brand, despite the considerable extra cost.

There was a clear difference.

Bugger!

Have you tried taylors expresso may be just my taste buds but cant find anything in the supermarkets to come close will try m&S next