Tree Fertiliser?

I allways do the sugar solution when planting or transplanting, works great. Can also sometimes bye you some time with a struggling plant whilst you find the cause of the problem, but it's not a long term management plan.

I'll give the 30g per 5 litres per sq meter a go Jamie and experiment.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a definite advantage in the trees that were mulched with carpet as supposed to the ones that weren't mulched - much higher growth rates but I expect they'll all catch up in the end. The number of oaks, birch & willow that have fought their way up through the sward with zero help or protection tells me that the ones I've put tubes around already have an edge on the naturally seeded ones

Yes and this is because in our soils trees can access the nutrients they need so are limited by moisture and light competition. Fertilising can cause problems in producing growth that does not harden off and suffers in the winter.

I allways do the sugar solution when planting or transplanting, works great. Can also sometimes bye you some time with a struggling plant whilst you find the cause of the problem, but it's not a long term management plan.

I'll give the 30g per 5 litres per sq meter a go Jamie and experiment.

Was the guidance recommended to her majesty the queens gardens team by barchams research department. Whole raft of literature on google scholars relating to their research.

BS8545 recommends not using fertilizer in the first season but if signs of nutrient deficiency become apparent then you should investigate and treat the cause.

The sugar thing seems all the rage at the moment so yeah not a bad idea. Not sure how viable it is on the large scale. e.g. street tree planting. Mulching is a must though in my opinion.

:thumbup:

Which? did a trial of feeding trees when first planted vs nothing. The fertilised trees did a lot worse. But mulching and watering are a good idea. Remember that most trees need fungi to get their nutrients and grow properly. High fertiliser levels kill off the fungi.

BS8545 recommends not using fertilizer in the first season but if signs of nutrient deficiency become apparent then you should investigate and treat the cause.

The sugar thing seems all the rage at the moment so yeah not a bad idea. Not sure how viable it is on the large scale. e.g. street tree planting. Mulching is a must though in my opinion.

:thumbup:

IIRC my research for the planting module leads me to think that sugar solution didn't benefit all species significantly. I can't remember which species reacted best, but don't think it was detrimental in any of the research I read.

The effects of the sugar/molasses/corn syrup and related amendments are on the soil microflora, of course. With molasses, you are usually adding a small of sulfur which in small amounts can be helpful, especially for bacteria, less so for fungi. Although trees use sugar in various forms all of the time, they don't assimilate or take it up from the soil. So that makes comparisons on effects difficult in that it is tricky to evaluate the relevant soil microbe communities (nitrogen fixers, de-nitrifiers, potential mycorrhizal partners, etc.) Sure some folks have great results. Hard to see that it could be damaging short of really massive dumping and messing with the osmotic potential. Not likely, but some folks figure "if a little is good, then more must be better!"