Ranger MPG. What do you get?

PeteB

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No but you don't expect manufacturers to blatantly lie about the combined mpg figures.

Before doing logs I was driving old diesel estate cars from Ford, Citroen and Peugeot. With all of them if you drove carefully the book figures could be achieved or exceeded. I partially went for the the Dmax due to the supposed good fuel economy compared with other trucks but it looks like the numbers were made up in cloud cuckoo land:thumbdown:

True enough but even if you get a small car the figures just don't add up either, you have to remember that these test are done on rolling roads and let's be honest they won't make life hard for the engines as it may screw up emissions figures as well.

I think the point I'm making is if you've got a 2 tonne plus truck don't expect it to sip fuel. Also lets be honest it's not me that's paying my fuel bill but the customers. I've just towed a 16ft trailer 60 miles with a 1 tonne mower on it today, and the dash is saying 26.6 and it's not normally far off in my truck. I don't think that's too bad. Spec says 30 but there's no point worrying about it. There is worse things to spend money on:)

They are trucks, work vehicles, I have never in my life looked at fuel consumption figures for any vehicle as a buying point. If fuel cost is a big motivating point then why buy one.

My customers pay my fuel bill not me, then the tax man gives me 20% of that cost back, I can't complain :biggrin:

Technology has changed my view on this and I now know exactly how much my vehicle and machinery cost to run and how much money they earn. Do you charge an amount for fuel/vehicle costs or just included within job price? I do both these depending on distance need to travel, now know how much it actually cost to run - was a bit of a surprise. The cheaper my running costs the more profit I can make.

Thought old truck saving me money as paid for. In fact costing me more than buying new truck. Sounds like hours of work but didn't take long to collect all the info into a spreadsheet.

Technology has changed my view on this and I now know exactly how much my vehicle and machinery cost to run and how much money they earn. Do you charge an amount for fuel/vehicle costs or just included within job price? I do both these depending on distance need to travel, now know how much it actually cost to run - was a bit of a surprise. The cheaper my running costs the more profit I can make.

Thought old truck saving me money as paid for. In fact costing me more than buying new truck. Sounds like hours of work but didn't take long to collect all the info into a spreadsheet.

If you do your books properly, over a period of time overheads should become obvious. By that I mean depreciation and repairs included. You should be able to work out say, how much a chipper costs you to run per hour or per day, which should include depreciation value as well. In other words, when it comes to buying a new chipper, the old one should have paid for itself.

This is the difference between a good business and a business that blunders along and when something breaks down is in the schtuck.

Yes, you need to work out fuel costs, but it shouldn't be down to 1 or 2 mile per gallon, it should be down to gallons per year. You need to also be competitive but not as competitive as the "blundering" business.

I,ve worked out a day rate that models my overheads and working style and I don't budge from that day rate or weekly rate to please my customers, my customers have no idea what it costs to run a tree surgery business.

They pay my bills not me, I just provide the service they require :001_smile:

Hope my rambling makes sense :biggrin:

my d-max is showing 27.6mpg. iv had it upto 40mpg on a run, its an autobox so not bad really, once it towing it drops to anything between 19 & 21 mpg

:001_smile:

HI JOHNY your pulling my leg 40mpg i was hopping for a lot when demo this week new top spec blade D MAX i think some left one of turbos off that would not PULL 3.5ton:lol: any good thanks jon :thumbup:

If you do your books properly, over a period of time overheads should become obvious. By that I mean depreciation and repairs included. You should be able to work out say, how much a chipper costs you to run per hour or per day, which should include depreciation value as well. In other words, when it comes to buying a new chipper, the old one should have paid for itself.

This is the difference between a good business and a business that blunders along and when something breaks down is in the schtuck.

Yes, you need to work out fuel costs, but it shouldn't be down to 1 or 2 mile per gallon, it should be down to gallons per year. You need to also be competitive but not as competitive as the "blundering" business.

I,ve worked out a day rate that models my overheads and working style and I don't budge from that day rate or weekly rate to please my customers, my customers have no idea what it costs to run a tree surgery business.

They pay my bills not me, I just provide the service they require :001_smile:

Hope my rambling makes sense :biggrin:

It does make sense as long as you know what the costs are you can charge for them, it's when you don't know you will have a problem. I have my rate for hour/day/week in my head and I quote from that, if you then go below that the only way is the job centre as you will soon be out of business. I'm probably not quite at the top for my job price wise but I make enough to keep me and mine secure. That's enough for me:)