Any idea how much usable wood is in these?

Woodworks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Message getting through loud and clear chaps :001_smile:

Not dealt with such large awkward hardwood before so safety will be paramount.

Plan of attack was clear what is safe and not under much load and get mate in with JCB to flip them onto their trunks. Sounds like I should not offer anything just clear for free but if ballibeg is right that's 8 tonne of wood that would cost me £400 to buy in. If it takes me 3 days to do it's still worth the hassle.

Bear in mind though that during those three days you could be doing something more profitable than cutting up ugly dangerous trees. Then once it's back in your yard there will be more processing to do.

Plan of attack was clear what is safe and not under much load and get mate in with JCB to flip them onto their trunks.

Rather than getting the machine in close and risking it rolling towards it if anything slips when pushing, I'd be more inclined to stick a long line on it and pull it over.

Rather than getting the machine in close and risking it rolling towards it if anything slips when pushing, I'd be more inclined to stick a long line on it and pull it over.

Thanks Chris.

I would leave to my mate. He was the feller with the winch and a JCB so would leave it up to him which way to do it.

What? You got job for me? :001_smile:

I'd guess not! I love it when people make remarks like wood wasps.:001_rolleyes:

I've done a job today that didn't pay my normal day rate but, I had nowt else on, it was local and I got a better days money than a lot of people would earn around here........ Get what Ya can when Ya can is my moto.

I could actually do with a cutter. If you're undercutting your own daily rate then no wonder there's so many threads grumbling about prices paid. You have your costs and your rates so stick to them

Coming back to the op; there's days of work in those trees, machinery needed, it's not even great firewood.. And the owner wants money for them! All I was trying to flag up was for op to place a realistic value on time/costs and don't be seduced by idea of cheap wood, my experience suggests it'll turn out to be anything but.

I could actually do with a cutter. If you're undercutting your own daily rate then no wonder there's so many threads grumbling about prices paid. You have your costs and your rates so stick to them

Coming back to the op; there's days of work in those trees, machinery needed, it's not even great firewood.. And the owner wants money for them! All I was trying to flag up was for op to place a realistic value on time/costs and don't be seduced by idea of cheap wood, my experience suggests it'll turn out to be anything but.

I would never under cut my day rate on "the day job". My point was I had nowt else on. A joiner friend of mine was putting a roof on a new build garage, he asked me to give him a hand, so I did......... Surely it's got to be better to earn just under your day rate, than earning nowt at all?

I totally agree. I wouldn't pay for the timber the op posted, I might be tempted to take it away for free if I had nowt else on mind.