Any idea how much usable wood is in these?

Woodworks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would if I could sell the stuff. Not ONCE this season as anyone rung up to order softwood but I have managed to talk a handful of folk into buying it. Still got most of it left though :thumbdown:

That's the problem here in Devon. Everyone wants OAK OAK and more Oak despite ash and beech being better in my eyes people seem set in there ways of previous generations.

Ive got an approx. 50 ton cedar tree to cut up and don't even know yet how im even likely to get rid of it. Im actually considering just dumpy bagging and sticking it on ebay!

I only do a few logs as a sideline so only a very small customer base but lucky enough to get my sticky mitts on mainly free timber but with that in mind to keep things sweet it also means I end up with some wood I don't always have a need or desire for.

Wonder if the trees where felled due to the new BPS payments system if so its a crying shame and the idiots at RPA should be made aware of the consequences of there stupid rules. Unfortunately I can see a lot of mature hedgerow trees having the same fate in the next 3 months as farmers get to grips with the the new BPS system.

Cross compliance for BPS - You cannot trim hedges or fell a tree between 1st March and 31st August.

However you can hedge lay or coppice between 1st March and 30th April.

Cross compliance for BPS - You cannot trim hedges or fell a tree between 1st March and 31st August.

However you can hedge lay or coppice between 1st March and 30th April.

Bps is responsible for some monster trees been felled round here. I've been asked to fell trees by farmers so they comply.

Conversation usually goes as follows..... Can you fell this ash tree, why this 200 year old ash lets drop those alders or that crappy willow, no I want the ash down want to sell the wood to the log man and it's big and makes a mess on my ploughing. I usually leave at this point as you might as well be talking to a brick

We are fixing up a beech hedge on the farm courtesy of a grant. Only allowed to leave 2 trees per 100m or similar. Seems a right shame to have to take so many out. Going to leave a few extras and we will see what they say. Most of the time they never come to inspect this stuff anyway so may get away with it but if not will have to fell the rest :thumbdown: I have know idea what the grant is as the mrs woodworks takes care of paperwork.

Due to grunt farming there only two farms in our parish left with decent amounts of trees on the hedges and we are one of them.

I have done similar things in the past for free but only the once :biggrin:. After I learnt my lesson I broke it down to profit. I would rather pay £2000 for an arctic load of easy to process beech or ash than a load of twisted oak which seems to take forever to season. Once you spend days cutting that lot up and hauling it home you could of logged the Arctic load and banked the money. It seems strange cord is in short supply when we have had such a mild winter ?

I have done similar things in the past for free but only the once :biggrin:. After I learnt my lesson I broke it down to profit. I would rather pay £2000 for an arctic load of easy to process beech or ash than a load of twisted oak which seems to take forever to season. Once you spend days cutting that lot up and hauling it home you could of logged the Arctic load and banked the money. It seems strange cord is in short supply when we have had such a mild winter ?

I can't argue with word of that as I know you are right but I like the whole process from tree to log. I try to sell local wood to local people. I am not in it for the money just want to be able to get by in life. There is wood available through a major supplier but my last dealings with them was not a good experience.