Flipline and lanyard

Wildviking

Sorry to revive an old thread, after reading all this i'm confused.

When dismantling down the stem using your flip line for positioning and a hitchclimbr DRT secondary can't you just wrap the standing end of your DRT around the stem (few wraps) and then just clip into the running end and descend on your hitchclimber? (basically making a static anchor and then descending SRT style).

I hope that makes sense.

That's what I used to do, although I wouldn't wrap a few times just sling it round and choke, this will catch me in a fall for whatever reason but I doubt you would be able to descend quickly unless you have something to take some of the weight of your hitch/DdRT device.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to revive an old thread, after reading all this i'm confused.

When dismantling down the stem using your flip line for positioning and a hitchclimbr DRT secondary can't you just wrap the standing end of your DRT around the stem (few wraps) and then just clip into the running end and descend on your hitchclimber? (basically making a static anchor and then descending SRT style).

I hope that makes sense.

If im understanding you right then that wouldnt work as your hitch wouldnt take all of your weight.

Remember in ddrt a much lower percentage of your body weight is on the hitch,much or the main percentage of your weight is on the anchor point and both ends of your rope.

This is why in srt you need a two friction devices rope wrench and a hitch to hold your weight.

I (sometimes) use an adjustable cambium saver on stems whilst choggin down.You can make your own by buying a split tail and a pulley prussik.

That's what I used to do, although I wouldn't wrap a few times just sling it round and choke, this will catch me in a fall for whatever reason but I doubt you would be able to descend quickly unless you have something to take some of the weight of your hitch/DdRT device.

Thanks, yeah after posting I thought that, hence descend on a fig 8 or something and keep the hitchclimber following it down as a backup.

I'm getting way ahead of myself, just making a wishlist/pricelist of equipment to be a SE climber, 8 months to go!

So far worked out cost of saws, harness, DRT system (inc throwline), lanyard system, flipline system (tempted to just get this first and use as my secondary) and PPE.

Going off my current list, a £200-£250 a month until November will get me the essentials. I have a ton of biners,slings and stuff from my mountaineering days but am I right in thinking that I need to start logging use of all my gear for LOLER inspections? If so probably best to start over with everything.

Not factored in any rigging stuff as of yet, nearer the time I'll ask around to see just how much rigging gear people expect contracts to bring to the job.

I at first had it choked off with a single line, then had a prussic followed by a munters hitch on another carabiner next to it .. simple enough and works fine, then for re-ascent you can use ascenders or just another prussic loop for your foot moving it up, sitting/standing as you go. Though now I've got the fimbiclimb, which is great as you can adjust it to choke onto the stem nicely but still run drt. Also makes it a bit easier to change over past obstacles without having to retie everything.

I at first had it choked off with a single line, then had a prussic followed by a munters hitch on another carabiner next to it .. simple enough and works fine, then for re-ascent you can use ascenders or just another prussic loop for your foot moving it up, sitting/standing as you go. Though now I've got the fimbiclimb, which is great as you can adjust it to choke onto the stem nicely but still run drt. Also makes it a bit easier to change over past obstacles without having to retie everything.

In this scenario though you could just spike back up to where you were before coffee break though right? :001_smile:

My reason behind using the hitchclimber as the backup was simply because it's already set up, so literally just clip in the standing end to choke, whack through a fig 8/munters and descend for tea and biccies :thumbup:

I'm not going to even look at SRT until I get to the stage that DRT is no longer fit for purpose, and with SRT being new(ish) to the industry, that could take 20+ years :001_tongue:

I can't find anything online about the "fimbiclimb", who makes it?

In this scenario though you could just spike back up to where you were before coffee break though right? :001_smile:

Yeah but I just like to get an excuse to use my ascenders :D

My reason behind using the hitchclimber as the backup was simply because it's already set up, so literally just clip in the standing end to choke, whack through a fig 8/munters and descend for tea and biccies :thumbup:

Sure, I think I just didn't like the idea of the micropulley clattering around against the crab/8 /compactness, but doubt it would really be an issue. Happy with the fimbiclimb/pulleysaver now and it's not that expensive..

I'm not going to even look at SRT until I get to the stage that DRT is no longer fit for purpose, and with SRT being new(ish) to the industry, that could take 20+ years :001_tongue:

Working on srt takes a lot more getting used to but just for ascending the hitchclimber works fine combined with a hand ascender with footloop and foot ascender. Or even just two prussics. Loads easier for crowded crowns on bigger throwline ascents. When at anchor tie off, get your groundie to undo the base tie pull it up and clip back to the hitchclimber and away you go.

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products-page/climbing-equipment/climbing-aids/cambium-savers/

Just a cheaper version of the pulleysaver without the pulley, still takes a lot of friction out. Easy enough to make your own if you wanted with the other stuff on that page.

The retriever ball is really annoying and lost it anyway, with a spliced eye rope it will usually jam enough on the eye anyway.

Edited by Aicchalmers