Re Chipper advice please

Chipperclown

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on your whole set up! 6" is fine to me and I'll take on most size jobs with it!! But that just suits me :)

Agreed, a 6" will make you a lot of money and rarely be embarrassed.

We had a job this week pollarding some lines in a courtyard off a back street.

Had to push the Tw up an incline into a gate. Then wangle the chip truck in.

10cube of chip, no wood at all left.

Perfect!

My transit 350 can tow 3.5 ton. Most of the bigger chippers seem to be around 2 ton. Had a ton of chip in a 12ft Ifor on the back before, just the steep hills tricky ( and no off - road sites)

Even the current heavy duty transit 350 is only rated for 3 tonnes and most are only good to tow 2.5 tonnes so best check your weights on the plate. Pre 2005 ish standard spec ones seem only good for 2.25 tonnes trailer.

Even the current heavy duty transit 350 is only rated for 3 tonnes and most are only good to tow 2.5 tonnes so best check your weights on the plate. Pre 2005 ish standard spec ones seem only good for 2.25 tonnes trailer.

thanks for the heads up - you are correct the door pillar plate says 2.25, was getting it confused with what the loaded van can weigh.

Still just about legal to tow most of the 9 and 10 inch chippers, but I would not be ok with a decent mini digger on my Ifor trailer.

Not really. With a chipper the general rule is that the larger the chipping capacity of the machine the wider the throat/feed hopper etc. This makes a massive difference in the real world. A lot of machines will drag in whatever you can get to the rollers, but that isn't much use if the rollers are at the bottom of a narrow funnel preventing you forcing the big gnarly thorn etc to the bite point.

We use 1928 Greenmech chippers day in/day out - they are fantastic machines and will pull in more than an equivalent square feed 7.5 inch machine. When we use 6inch machines of various makes (including TW, Forst and Jensen) with or without letterbox openings the most noticeable difference is how small the hopper is in comparison.

Just because the machine will chip 7.5 inch/9 inch/15 inch etc doesn't mean that you will necessarily put that size log through it. Brash will be dealt with much more quickly and easily with a bigger machine.

The only negative that I can think of is man handling the chippers when disconnected from the van (eat your Weetabix and you will be fine). They are easier to reverse as you can actually see them, and in reality a 7.5 inch chipper is well within the towing capacity of any Arb truck.

Go big, it's the future!

Has anyone tried caravan movers on their big chipper?