Husky xp oil worth the extra ££££ ??

jnoon

Aspen doesn't make sense to me due to the cost, if using saws daily and at an extra £10+ per five litres it quickly adds up to enough to just buy a new saw with the money you save with normal fuel

I guess aspen over a year is very expensive, but it's a cost you surely pass on to client, it then becomes less of an issue, it may cost client an extra £30 on a big day which doesn't seem that much to me, of course I'm not an ARB guy, so what do I know, is pricing that tight really?

It probably is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'll never buy aspen because I'm frugal (and have a stash of 2T to work through), I do agree that if it's a specific fuel that can only be used in machinery (equivalent to Red Diesel) then it should be available at a concessionary rate to consumers.

Maybe Mr. Aspen should start a petition we could all sign to that affect?

I'll go with whatever's best if it's cheap enough dudes.

There is a petition you can sign not sure where or how to post a link but I'm sure Eddie at aspen will post another link up

As much as I'll never buy aspen because I'm frugal (and have a stash of 2T to work through), I do agree that if it's a specific fuel that can only be used in machinery (equivalent to Red Diesel) then it should be available at a concessionary rate to consumers.

Maybe Mr. Aspen should start a petition we could all sign to that affect?

I'll go with whatever's best if it's cheap enough dudes.

That's a very sensible post.

I was a creel fisherman for a lot of years with a small boat and 40hp outboard, I was able to claim back the vat and duty on the fuel I used, which was almost half the initial outlay.

I guess aspen over a year is very expensive, but it's a cost you surely pass on to client, it then becomes less of an issue, it may cost client an extra £30 on a big day which doesn't seem that much to me, of course I'm not an ARB guy, so what do I know, is pricing that tight really?

It probably is.

No it wouldn't cost as much as that a day. I just can't see much benefit when using saws as I doubt it makes much difference to the life of a saw and if it did it wouldn't overcome the extra cost as well as the hassle of going to a dealer to buy some when any petrol station would do. I understand the emission side of it but think with a saw its far enough away from you that you're not breathing in any more exhaust fumes than you do walking down the street. It makes sense to use it on hedges perhaps where the fumes can reflect back at you

Hi

Its not like me to miss a thread like this! It has been interesting reading, I love a debate that includes Aspen.

There has been a little scorn about Eddies statement that Aspen will prolong the life of engines over the use of regular pump fuel. To be fair to Eddie, his statement is not unfounded.

I have seen the results of long duration tests run on identical machines on a bench, both for the same time an under the same load.

The engines have then been dismantled and inspected. The Aspen fuelled ones always show less wear and are much cleaner with practically no carbon residue in the upper cylinder.

I would reckon that I probably service more machines run on Aspen than any other person in the UK and I see the results every day.

The plugs remain virtually untarnished. They will take on a colour consistant with the state of tune, but will have no build up of deposits at all.

The piston crown and upper cylinder will have virtually no deposits or discolouring.

The rings will stay completely free.

The carburettor stays completely untarnished.

The fuel lines do not degrade.

And, in a fourstroke such as a lawnmower engine, the oil stays clear and clean, as there are no carbon deposits to be absorbed.

If the oil is clean, the wear within the engine is greatly reduced.

So although I have no doubt that engines will last longer, I have to agree that the extra cost of Aspen over the life of the machine could exceed repair and replacement costs.

However, you cannot put a cost on your health. Comments like this in the past have been derided as being 'scaremongering'.

Aspen was developed to counter the incredibly high, and well documented, health problems experienced by the Swedish loggers a few decades ago, and was readily accepted in that industry resulting in a massive drop in health issues from exhaust fumes.

However, you cannot put a cost on your health. Comments like this in the past have been derided as being 'scaremongering'.

Aspen was developed to counter the incredibly high, and well documented, health problems experienced by the Swedish loggers a few decades ago, and was readily accepted in that industry resulting in a massive drop in health issues from exhaust fumes.

Would modern saws not offer better protection anyway now? Given the new breed of strato engines and emission regulations fumes are surely way lower than a few decades ago? Would be interesting to see some up to date data

Would modern saws not offer better protection anyway now? Given the new breed of strato engines and emission regulations fumes are surely way lower than a few decades ago? Would be interesting to see some up to date data

I guess modern saws are better, but what goes in must come out, its just that on a modern engine there are less volume of fumes, the chemical make up is still the same.

Only catalytic converters can clean up the fumes. Some saws do now have them.