Meat Eating Magpie!

rovers90

First thing they go for on a sickly sheep is pecking out the eyeballs before they are even dead.

They are very intelligent creatures and can even be taught to talk, however they cant count. Shoot a magpie, hide nearby and its family will actually mourn the body and return to visit it.

Very territorial and when you here them shouting out the blue its normally due to an outsider encroaching onto there territory.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Magpies are notorious for working up&down and in&out hedge rows searching for song birds nests, these they will raid of eggs, young chicks, any un-fledged chick will become a meal.

I use half rabbits as a food source when using a decoy bird in a larson cage.

No doubt they eat meat.:thumbdown:

HI JACK i seen 10 the other day in one tree on a shoot weres the game keeper when you need one thanks jon :thumbup:

We had some bacon rind on the bird table outside the back door and I watched a magpie pick a beak full out then go into the lean to where it proceeded to hide it in my woolly hat on my bike carrier :D Jackdaws are cleverer, they are real characters.

I watched a crow bating a duck that was leading its newly hatched chicks to water.

The crow would taunt the duck until it ran forward to chase crow away, at this point the crow flow behind the duck snatching up a duckling and the landing near by and eating it, it took at least 2 of the ducklings.

All the Corvid family are very intelligent, studies have been done on crows that build tools! All are omnivorous and will actively hunt. I have seen a pigeon taken down by two magpies, driving it towards a corner of a garden.

They will use tools, such as stones, but they don't "make" tools.

I watched a crow bating a duck that was leading its newly hatched chicks to water.

The crow would taunt the duck until it ran forward to chase crow away, at this point the crow flow behind the duck snatching up a duckling and the landing near by and eating it, it took at least 2 of the ducklings.

HI SKY RAVENS take new born lambs mate not good thanks jon