Mounting winches on pickups

David Dobedoe

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What make are they? How much to supply and fit to a new Hilux? Whats the extra weight? How does it affect warranty?

Rhino4x4 , Genesis Tracks

They are £1800+vat all black , £2200+vat colour coded +fitting @approx£250+vat exclusive of winch

46kg air bag compatible, nit sure about warranty, thats down to the manufacturer i would think.

We will soon have them listed on our website, its a new product for us so just pm me

I have always thought the best place for a winch on a 4x4 or pick up is at the back. Any winch on a truck is useful no matter where it is....

Sort of went with this.

Got a winch, mounted it on a plate to clip onto a towball and fitted a detachable front towbar to the pickup. Now I can swap the winch between front and back of pickup and the back of the Iveco till I get the front towbar on that too, also any vehicle with a towbar.

Benefit being I just slip it off and it can't get nicked or rot in the elements, downside being I just know the day I get caught out it won't be on the right vehicle :blushing:

WP_20140321_006.jpg.b0a406e2de4725cb4fb78a77ba809121.jpg

014.jpg.73085d9db9f3ce5a28845df9f875e601.jpg

Simples!:thumbup:

Regards,

Steve.

[ATTACH]174944[/ATTACH]

Superwinch EP 12.5 it's been awesome in the 8 years I've had it, last week it pulled over a big beech stick and today it pulled over a big spruce. It's got me out of a few stick mud patches too.

Nice chevron markings

Now that's what I call built in right of way:thumbup1:

I have always thought the best place for a winch on a 4x4 or pick up is at the back. Any winch on a truck is useful no matter where it is but if you have gotten a truck stuck in the mud the last thing you would want to do is winch it further in with a front mounted winch. Rear mounted will pull you back out a lot easier and is also handy for dragging stuff up onto a trailer ( including big ugly sticks and stumps ). Fashion says it goes on the front, to be of the most use it needs to go on the back. Its also a lot easier to fit between the chassis rails on the back of most trucks without the need for the fancy bumpers or fitting kits.

Bob

Valid points made, also should something ever give under tension backend should be cheaper to fix than front end.

On the other hand nicer view and comfort if its on the front and your in the cab.:biggrin:

I looked in to this a while ago and decided on a Goodwinch Bak Rak Winch Mount fitted with TDS-9.5i £600. that comes with dyneema rope to.

it simply slips on to your ball hitch, i wired in an anderson socket. take it on and off as you like.

The deal cruncher for me was the fact that my insurance wanted more money to insure my L200 with a winch on the front as it is classed as a modification.