advice please

Will Ayers

. i know tree cutter stu will do enough line cutting for all of us anyway.

I have never been line clearence in my life but at the moment jobs are scarce. The sse have pleanty of jobs going i know it may not be the best money at first but it is a full time job.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah but is that what will make me happy and actually the moneys not bad, nice to have someone say that i should go for the permanent job but i find it too easy to persuade myself to steer clear of it, i dont think line clearance is for me. as the other guys have said i think its better to be poor than unhappy

ah but is that what will make me happy and actually the moneys not bad, nice to have someone say that i should go for the permanent job but i find it too easy to persuade myself to steer clear of it, i dont think line clearance is for me. as the other guys have said i think its better to be poor than unhappy

do the utility work mon to fri & other work @ weekend then when the private gets busy wind the ulility work down :001_smile:

this isn't realy an option woodpicker as i am contracted to work 5 days a week for the utility company and will not be able to wind one down as one picks up. i have thought about doing this but i dont think id be able to keep up contacts in the industry as easily so im sure that if i took the utility job then i would more than likely get distracted from the domestic work and find it hard to get back in to it.

i think my mind is made up now, i just need to sit down and do the sums

thanks for your advice guys, now i just need to tell the missus why im turning down a permanent job for the risk of freelance!:blushing:

Best of luck to you Wills, I'm sure you'll do fine the work is out there.

For the record I made a similar decision in 2007 and went fulltime, back then i was more of a groundie who was hungry to climb thought going fulltime would get me climbing more, I spent over 6 months with them and although i had garantued income was unhappy.

My wife went out got a job and forced me to hand in my notice, i've pushed myself hard and now earn twice what i was on. Self employed is a risk but its a risk i'm happy taking.

I did line clearance for years and mainly hated it. But, with the decrease in domestic work and the increase in competition (about quadrupled in last 7 years) I am looking at maybe getting back into it. :sad:

i understand where your coming from mate but i think i will be able to rake in enough to tick over, i know businesses are struggling but the work seems to be out there.

besides, having spoken to the missus she's on side. years ago i had a dead end job that i hated and was a grumpy bugger. she doesn't want that again

work is work and a pound is a pound...

I would go for the line clearance job, it'll be just another skill and possibly a useful one. You can always go back to domestic arb at a later date, as long a you can keep focused on where you want to be in 5 year time, you'll be fine.

You are not long outta college, right? there are a lot of people gagging for an offer from a company that require experience. you could take the job, get exp. and then move on when the time is right.

Good luck whatever you choose.

rich.

how much will you earn daily with the full time job, 100quid ish??you can make that with a set of loppers in the domestic world no bother, why bust a gut working a saw 8 hrs a day flat out for someone elses pocket..use your energy wiser. you know what you want to do, so you are more than halfway there..i chucked my job nearly 11 years ago now, i was on 120 quid a week in my hand..my first day selfemployed i did 125 by 11o'clock. never looked back, maybe moaned and groaned and nearly jumped off a few cliffs with stress and crazy customers and useless staff, but hey life has its ups and downs mate...just go for it. you know you want to.:001_cool: