stump grinder business

tommy_davies

However the number of jobs we won BECAUSE we could grind stumps is harder to calculate.

An extra grand for the week for the company rather than giving it away.

Ty

And that sums up why I can't decide.

It boils down to this really.....

Either it needs to sweat

Or

Be sold

..... sitting in the garage for when work comes along isn't good enough.

*ironically just quoted to do a few large scale clearance jobs and if they come in that's £3.5 k of grinding

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 1 grind only company round here that I know of and did get them in to do some for me with the theory of making a bit without doing much.... Never again! Probably took me longer to tidy and make customer happy afterwards than if I'd done it myself with a rg13.

This is why I've ordered a Hb20 to do whole thing 1 go and I'll still hire in bigger when needed.

Big 70hp carlton coming in for 2 days end of month for over 100 stumps on a site clearance type job and a few bigger stumps on a golf course.

Only 1 grind only company round here that I know of and did get them in to do some for me with the theory of making a bit without doing much.... Never again! Probably took me longer to tidy and make customer happy afterwards than if I'd done it myself with a rg13.

This is why I've ordered a Hb20 to do whole thing 1 go and I'll still hire in bigger when needed.

Big 70hp carlton coming in for 2 days end of month for over 100 stumps on a site clearance type job and a few bigger stumps on a golf course.

Thats pretty much it really it really , as Gray and Hodge pointed out most domestic outfits like to offer a one stop shop with all the mess dealt with in one go. Commercial is a different story and stump grinding in this sector has a future.

ive had various stump grinders over the years, the most recent being a tracked predator grinder. I do stumps for 2 other contractors as well as my own. its usually out once a week and i tend to make pretty good money off it, but generally only because my guys are out doing treework at the same time so im making my dayrate from them

I'm exactly the same, I send my lads out doing the tree work and what ever I bring in is a bonus. I wouldn't say I could make a living off it but it pays for it's self. I bought 2 brand new bandit grinders last year and I've got a little 13hp husqy too. I can buy jobs with it though, especially having a range of grinders to suit pretty much every stump. Not many around me offer grinding and on every quote I do I sell my grinding service with it. It does by jobs. Sometimes i loose a little on the grinding to secure a good tree job.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The light weight safety screens are very good, thing is you need to pay around 600 pounds to get the full machine covered all way around, that way it's safe and very little mess, have someone with you to move the screens, they are not safe to move if you have a remote controlled machine, unless you put the remote down on the ground. Get the ticket and do everything by the book, scan the area before you grind. Also use boards to drive the machine on in folks garden.

There is money to be made if you do a very good job of it.

The one deciding if it's success or not is yourself.