New member new saw

pinhead

Been lurking around for a while trying to get an idea of what I wanted for cutting firewood also getting sucked in to the whole thing nearly finished spuds porting thread 3 night in and at page 70

Basically I can get wood from work for the log burner (farm) it comes from raising canopies around fields and trees that blow over or need felling for another reason

This wood is shared with some one else at work and that's no problem as there is plenty

now I feel like am tied to the other guy a bit much as I don't have a saw so can't go in on a Saturday and chop a pile up unless it pre arranged

so I need a saw

Research led me to think for what I need stihl 026 ms260

Scoured eBay and ending up with a 99 026 that's tidy enough described as working as it should it came with a good very little wear 16" bar and chain

Now the down side it starts fine and sounds ok but has no power at all I was expecting it to eat compared to Richards ms181 that I am used to using but I am rather disappointed it would not be able to cut anything at full bar even 8" stuff you need to be gentle the 181 makes it look daft

So what would you do I am £155 in would you try mend what could be a great saw or get the seller to take it back and find another

I started off with an old 032av with no chain break on was a fantastic saw for its age still got it as a do upper so the wife found me a husky 345 thats ok but i perfer the stilhs so got my self a ms291 now bit over kill on some of the wood i cut but theres plenty of power there for any thing big but the 181 is a grrat starter saw

Hi

Check the engine has compression, if low comp then return it - 'not as described' as it could expensive to fix.

If you return it, then consider a Husky 135 against the MS181. The 135 has a 40cc engine & quite a bit bigger than 181.

just my thoughts

N

Thanks guys

A big part of me wants to make this saw good no agro on ebay and satisfaction of sorting it out

I don't want a 181 good saw yes but as far as I understand not in the same league as the 026 if it were well

I am fairly sure this isn't anything big as it starts well and ticks over good and has that nice crack to it it revs from idle but just runs out of power when you put it in the cut maybe it's not getting to full revs sounds a bit slow and it doesn't 4 stroke

I will have a fiddle and do a compression test

the Hold the start rope test checks out good but will get a proper compression tester from my mate

The 026 is IMO the easiest saw to work on and parts are cheap and plentiful. Read up on tuning the carb, see how far from factory the current setting is etc.

Otherwise: fuel hose and filter, carb rebuild, air filter, impulse hose are all easy and cheap fixes.

That is assuming good piston and cylinder.

Chain tension not crazy-tight or anything?