MS660 & MS460 Air Filter upgrades

18 stoner

So, on a more serious note, other than CTS has anyone found the research in this thread any use to them?

I realise Rupe was sorted anyway.:001_cool:

i have, cheers.

diddnt realise there were air filter upgrades, why manufacture the saws with substandard parts as standard??

046, ms660 and ms880 will all be getting upgraded

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
why manufacture the saws with substandard parts as standard ?

Cos Stihl ain't satisfied with what they already charge the customer (3 price increases in just over 12 months). They prefere to make you pay extra for small improved upgrades that ort to be standard. Its a STEEL philosophy.

why manufacture the saws with substandard parts as standard ?

Cos Stihl ain't satisfied with what they already charge the customer (3 price increases in just over 12 months). They prefere to make you pay extra for small improved upgrades that ort to be standard. Its a STEEL philosophy.

to be fair, those price hikes were due to the economy-its happened with everything we import near enouge, a new japanese sports bike is unreal money now!

what i meant was id much rather pay a bit more on purchase price than have to upgrade-eg, a new saw, if you want the upgraded filter, youve effectivly paid for the standard AND the upgraded, where as if it came with the upgraded one, youd save the cost of the original . . . if that makes sence

From all the milling I do I got the the foam insert and outside pre filter around in order to keep all the fine dust out of the saw.

I've used them for a year now. On the plus side it does keep all the fine dust getting into the carb. On the negative side it very quickly gets silted up on the outside pre filter. A bit of dust on this and the saw still runs but not as well as it should. The other day I was cleaning the pre filter (a job that needs regularly doing - very regular indeed!) and thought I'll try running the saw again without the extra filters.... in summary it ran a whole lot better. The extra filters must make it harder for the saw to pull air through.

Also that foam inside part isn't tailor made for the filter and sort of gets scrunched up as you tighten the the outer casing on.

All in all it's a pretty poor performance from the so called market leader....

FAO MR JONES!! Stock up on some of these before your show!! Pretty please:001_smile:

My experience so far has shown me in extreme conditions such as milling, the pre-filter and insert(HD) would be best. BUT, the pre-filter sock is essential on every day use for these saws. The amout of extra crud that it catches above the standard filter is scary!

No excuses now if you score a bore, you have been warned:001_tt1:

I used to work in a Forest back home that had alot of Volcanic ash in the soil.This would enter the saw and knacker the rings.

We used to dip a finger in Grease and run it around the inside of the aircleaner housing.It works like a precleaner and alot the the fine stuff would stick to that.Some guys would also stuff the aircleaner into the sock part of Panty Hose and tie it off.

The saws did last longer.