lowering device

dangerous brian

If its tested to 5 ton & has a safe max load of 3 tons(3000kg) i would say the safe working load is more like 600Kg.

& any kit should carry the CE mark.

I'm not sure if lowering bollards have to have a ce mark be intrested to know for sure, never noticed them on a grcs or other bollards before, the grcs is a sailing winch effectivly adapted to treework. They are strength tested but not ce rated i thought.

The real weak link in the bollard from ebay is its attachment to the trunk and shock loading!! It doesn't look like it'll take heavy snatching when you compare it to other devices like the Hobbs, grcs, Reg Coates or even Nod's device, these have had more thought into there design.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point im getting at is if someone is making lowering devices at home or work & selling them how do we tree surgeons know the safety rating.

Anyone who has done the Loler course with Liam & Richard at Treevolution would of seen home made lowering devices which have failed.

in fairness i have also seen an approved lowering device that has failed , im not saying that a"home made" lowering device is acceptable to be used but if as brian says it has a cert of conformity then i would assume that this meets industry standards , any of you that know much about welding will understand the differences betwene a lloyds coded welder and a asme coded welder .

Am I wrong in thinking that looks similar to the model Nod was selling at the AA show?:sneaky2:

Only vaguely!! Its a tube with a bar through it welded to a section of u shaped steel/ali? with some holes for straps. This design is common sheds loads of them out there if you look.

Nods had several unique features which made it a well thought out design, if possibly a little overkill. Same as Reg's single drum device well thought out tool desgined by arborist for arborist. Not a boiler mechanic!!!! How much snatching has that guy seen!!

in fairness i have also seen an approved lowering device that has failed , im not saying that a"home made" lowering device is acceptable to be used but if as brian says it has a cert of conformity then i would assume that this meets industry standards , any of you that know much about welding will understand the differences betwene a lloyds coded welder and a asme coded welder .

I have a Lloyds coded welder as a very good friend, who would make me anything i wanted for lowering, but i wont ask him as it wont be CE marked or have a SWL on it:thumbdown:

From miss use, yes.

But if you do not have a marked SWL, how can you know if you are miss using it??

verry true , with having the facts such as the S.W.L you can avoid over loading , but how do you judge exactly or even roughly how much the article you are lowering weighs ?? i was working with a crane driver on a job he was saying that out of all the lifts and types of lifts he does and he found that he could not acuratley judge the rough weight of a piece of timber being cut .

CE markis only for selling.

SWL is what is important and it is usually a tenth of Minimum breakign strain (MBS) as we all know. So if that thing has been tested to 3t then it has a SWL of 300kgs. So 100kgs snatched onto it is a no no!!

The straps in th epicture are not supplied but personally I would just take the SWL of whatever straps you use and stick to that Those holes might break out but I would geuss the strap would go first.

The straps in th epicture are not supplied but personally I would just take the SWL of whatever straps you use and stick to that Those holes might break out but I would geuss the strap would go first.

Which confuses me more as most straps we use are marked with a Maximum Breaking Strain (MBS), so a 5 ton strap has a SWL of what???